Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
JamesHellyer

Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe not working in IE10

I'm running Internet Explorer 10 32-Bit on a Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit operating system.

All of my toolbars suddenly stopped working on IE10.

If I try to enable the Norton Toolbar, it doesn't enable it. If I try and use manage add-ons under the tool bar to enable it, it doesn't. 

Why won't it work and how can I fix it?

WLP
Topics: 48
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 13

Re: Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe not working in IE10

[ Edited ]

Can you go to http://www.useragentstring.com/ and copy and paste what's in the box.  That'll tell us if you're using the browser in 64 bit mode or 32.

If it mentions Win64, you're running the browser in 64 bit mode.  If it says WOW64, it's 32 bit mode.  IE needs to be in 32 bit mode for Norton Identity Safe to work.

If it says Win64, switch it back to 32 bit mode by to the "gear" icon and click internet options.  Go to "advance" and scroll the list to the very end.  Uncheck "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and then reboot your browser.

When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:

Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Visitor
JamesHellyer

I'm running it in 32-Bit mode.

WLP

Then a complete re-install might be in order. First back up your id safe by going to settings > web > identity safe > export. Choose csv and then save your file. Do you use online or local id safe? Would you like to use local or online id safe?

Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Visitor
JamesHellyer

[ Edited ]

Done a complete reinstall and it still cannot be enabled in IE10.

WLP

JamesHellyer wrote:

Done a complete reinstall and it still cannot be enabled in IE10.

How did you do the re-install?  Uninstalling using add / remove, using the Norton removal too, deleting C:\programdata\Norton and C:\programdata\NortonInstall, rebooting, and then re-installing.

Visitor
JamesHellyer

Via remove programmes in the control panel. Also removed all settings. Rebooted the PC and then reinstalled from my Norton account. 

WLP

[ Edited ]

You're using Norton Internet Security 2013 right?

Can you try this:

1. Download the Norton Removal tool from www.norton.com/nrt.  Do not run it yet.  Download Norton Internet Security 2013 from www.norton.com/nis20.  For Norton Internet Security 2012 use www.norton.com/nis12.  Do not run it yet.
  2. Uninstall the program via add / remove.
  3. Reboot the pc
  4. Run the Norton removal tool you downloaded.
  5. Reboot the PC
  6. Go to C:\programdata and delete the files "Norton" and "NortonInstaller"
  7. Reboot the PC
  8. Run the Norton removal tool again (just to make sure)
  9. Reboot the PC
  10. Run the Norton installer you downloaded earlier
  11. Run LiveUpdate until no updates are found.  Reboot the PC as prompted
  12. Reboot the PC
  13. Launch the program and make sure it's running 20.2.1.22 or later.  As of March 6, 2013, Norton is currently holding back the 20.3.0.36 update.  This may change in the future.

Yes I know there are tons of "reboot the PC" in the instruction, but I want to make sure that the computer deletes the files that Norton Removal Tool marked to be deleted.

yank
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 512

JamesHellyer wrote:

I'm running Internet Explorer 10 32-Bit on a Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit operating system.

If I try to enable the Norton Toolbar, it doesn't enable it. If I try and use manage add-ons under the tool bar to enable it, it doesn't. 

Uhm, excuse me, I notice all the focus is on the NTB - if no toolbars are working - could there not be something else wrong in Win 8 or IE 10 that causes all toolbars to disappear?  Not a Win 8 /IE10 user, but I seem to recall the NTB only works in Desktop and not Metro (I think that's correct - although I may be wrong)

I now return you to your troubleshooting.

WLP

yank wrote:

JamesHellyer wrote:

Uhm, excuse me, I notice all the focus is on the NTB - if no toolbars are working - could there not be something else wrong in Win 8 or IE 10 that causes all toolbars to disappear?  Not a Win 8 /IE10 user, but I seem to recall the NTB only works in Desktop and not Metro (I think that's correct - although I may be wrong)

I now return you to your troubleshooting.

I was so focus on trying to blame Norton toolbar that I forgot that perhaps you're using the toolbar in metro mode.  Go to desktop and then launch Internet Explorer.  Are you saying NO toolbar works in IE or just the Norton toolbar.