Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
jabramsxx

Re: Norton Vulnerability Protection and Firefox 22.0

You roll over. I don't.

Contributor
aaaa1000

At the very least, what I expect from symantec is to public acknowledge that their product is not yet compatible with FF22. Now, the way it is, the article below blissfully states that the symantec product is compatible with FF22 and everything is fine, while we all here know that it is NOT COMPATIBLE YET.

So at least be honest about it and disclose it publicly, so that people can make informed decisions, change this online article below so that it discloses that NVP does not work yet on FF22. BE HONEST AND RESPECT US USERS!

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100720112959EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

yank
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 512

Did you by chance read the edit to my post here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Vulnerability-Protection-and-Fi...

If you follow the link - https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v89581610_EndUserProfile_en_us I posted, you may see that the info you seek and expect to read is already posted.  Bottom line is the Norton Toolbar is compatible with FF 22 - the NVP however, is not. 

Contributor
geek47

Yaso_Kuuhl wrote:

Basically, you have to ask yourself two questions: would you rather have a patch released by Norton as soon as possible - but not or insufficiently tested? Or would you rather wait and receive a patch which has been tested properly and then released? :-)
Also, please take into consideration that it was Mozilla which implemented last-moment changes.

Two points:

• When you think of how modern software is now tested, do not think of rooms full of people each trying different parts of the application .... and taking days/weeks to fully test all aspects of the app. Instead think of a few high end servers running billions of scripts per hour. Testing is fully automated. It should not take days to test this fix. It could (and apparently has) taken days/weeks to develop the fix. The real question to ask is why has it taken Symantec so long to develop this fix? Did this issue have a high enough priority? Were the right level of developers assigned to this issue? We will probably never know why it has taken so long, but I seriously doubt that testing has added more than a day to this long process (of course, testing could have discovered that a proposed fix did not work and required that the developers try again ... and again ... and again).
  • Mozilla may have made a last minute change, but Symantec has bought into those changes by stating that they support Firefox. That means having the right set of people on call to address and solve any last minute changes by Mozilla. If Symantec cannot handle that, then they should announce that they are dropping support for Firefox.
Regular Contributor
LinYu2

[ Edited ]

aaaa1000 wrote:

LinYu2: Wrong! Did you even read the article??? The article CLEARLY AND UNEQUIVOCALLY states  (and I quote verbatim): "Norton Internet Security is now compatible with Firefox 22.". Well, it is not compatible, if part of the software (important part by the way) is not compatible, then it is not compatible, period.

And, you are wrong again: there's a date in the article: 06/27/2013.

Reading the article before commenting on it may help you to be more accurate on the future.

Indeed!... But SYS (sooth your soul...), my friend, this is not a congressional battlefield  :smileywink:  nor does it reach the critical heights of war and peace or life and death.... So, it seems to me, you went though an inglorious waste of bravado, not much compatible, I would say, with the results at issue here, and for what?...

More than enough comments and explanations have already been produced about this unfortunate issue but each one of us, of course, is entitled and free to absorb just as much of it as he or she desires, to the point where any remaining doubts will hardly be ever cleared, I suspect... :smileysad:

Let's cross our fingers for a quick and efficient patch to the problem, which I believe is the only goal at issue here.

One thing is clear: I stand corrected on the date!...  :smileyhappy:

Thanks.

Contributor
Leo14

Hi Tony,

Any ETA for the patch?

Tony_Weiss
Topics: 582
Kudos: 2,113
Solutions: 349

[ Edited ]

Sorry Leo14, I can't give out dates for patches. I'd rather not guess, as testing might take longer than we expect. We're working to get this resolved ASAP; that's not just an acronym, that's the truth. There's no benefit for us in this issue being visible to customers any longer than it needs to be. Thanks.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
Draxeiro

Tony_Weiss wrote:

Sorry Leo14, I can't give out dates for patches. I'd rather not guess, as testing might take longer than we expect. We're working to get this resolved ASAP; that's not just an acronym, that's the truth. There's no benefit for us in this issue being visible to customers any longer than it needs to be. Thanks.

Hi Tony,

That is understood. However, from your previous postings I gathered that developers were working on the issue last week and even before that and that more developers have been put on the project since. One would think and expect you'd be in the testing stages at this point, roughly 2 weeks later.

Can you at least confirm that the fix is being tested at this point?

As one could also read from your last post that things aren't even that far along yet...

Tony_Weiss
Topics: 582
Kudos: 2,113
Solutions: 349

Hi Draxeiro,

It's not quite as cut and dry like that -- development is ongoing as QA is ongoing, and back and forth we go with different bugs that come up for a patch. So yes, testing has begun, but it began once the first builds for the update were code complete.

You all want a gauge for the big "when", and I can empathize. If a giant countdown clock on this post would ease everyone's mind, I'd add it. The problem is that putting out a deadline or release date creates more problems than it solves, especially with a patch for an issue we didn't expect to exist. Many other projects get altered, timelines shift, and accomodations need to be made. Plus you need to factor in the unforseen issues with the patch. 

People will read into my posts what they will, but hopefully you'll take them at face value. We want this fixed too, we're working hard to get it resolved. It won't be today or even tomorrow, but it will be soon.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
Tradesmaster

Thank you Mr.. Weiss, I understand all that but, please explain why the commercial users got the patch much sooner the the retail users the last firebox release. It took over a month for the retail patch to be issued.