Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Visitor
andreaskip
Accepted Solution

Norton toolbar update crashes Firefox 18

I updated Norton Internet Security with patches and updated Firefox to 18 and although all of the Norton toolbar items and vulnerability items appear and work, I get a crash notice when I close Firefox and an unable to restore previous session notice when restarting Firefox.  These problems disappear when the Norton add-ons are disabled (individually and collectively). I also restarted my computer and firefox numerous times

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix? 

I am currently running Windows 7 64-bit.  NIS 20.2.0.19; Norton FF toolbar version 2013.2.3.1; Norton FF vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5 - 2

senthilkumar
Kudos: 256
Solutions: 108

Re: Norton toolbar update crashes Firefox 18

Hi Andreaskip,

Sorry for the issue you are facing.

Could you provide any specific scenario in which you are facing firefox crash like visiting any website?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Regular Visitor
andreaskip

Fortunately, It doesn't happen while in the browser, so the website doesn't really factor into the equation.  I get the Mozilla crash notice only when I close the browser, and when I restart the browser, I get the unable to restore session notice.  Once in the browser, everything works fine.

I can live with the problem if I have to since everything is functional, but I would prefer not to have it happen. 

Thanks for your help.

Andrea

Regular Visitor
PoppaVred

I have the same problem. With the toolbar enabled, Firefox 18 crashes as soon as I close a tab, I also get a crash message every time I close Firefox. The problem disappear as soon as the toolbar extension is disabled in Firefox.

Harry V.

Magpie

I'm having exactly the same problem. Firefox (18.0) crashes whenever I close any tabs. The problem stops when I disable the Norton Toolbar 2013.2.3.1

JohnDissident
Topics: 15
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 4

FF 18.0 crashes as soon as I open 'Add-Ons' even when local network is disabled. To turn Norton Toolbar OFF, seems to help. FF is not my default browser anymore, but I had to revert to 17.0.1 to avoid these crashes (hangs).

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. NIS 20.2.0.19; Norton toolbar 2013.2.3.1; Norton vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5 - 2

e Re: Norton toolbar update crashes Firefox 18

I have the same problem. If I close the firefox brower, I get a crash report notification. If I have multiple tabs open, closing one of them causes firefox 18 to completely close with a crash report.

I also had an issue when trying to post pictures to an ebay auction I was creating. When the pop up window was up the upload photos was fine, but when the box was hit to close the pop up window, firefox closes completely and a crash report pops up.

I also had to shut down the safe web to do any browsing at all.

rika
Topics: 19
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 6

may i ask how many toolbars besides Norton toolbar are u using with Firefox?

NIS 2014 OS Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1
Tony_Weiss
Topics: 582
Kudos: 2,086
Solutions: 336

Re: e Re: Norton toolbar update crashes Firefox 18

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We're looking into the problem, and we need a bit more information. I've sent you all a Private Message (yellow envelope in the upper right corner) with instructions on collecting and sending us logs. Let me know if you're able to help this way. Thanks again.

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
Pippali

I had this problem as well. Firefox crashed every time I closed one or two tabs. But I fixed it by disabling Norton Safe Search. I still have the Norton Toolbar and Norton Safe Web.