Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
CF12

Unsuccessful in using "cloud" vault

[ Edited ]

I am trying to use the 'cloud' vault' for days without any luck. On an older machine, the local vault works, even after the upgrade. With 2013 the local vault was deleted and now you only have the option of the online vault. It looks like many users were surprised by this corporate decision to do away with the local vault. I think it is time to call for a boycott of Norton products until they bring back the local vault.

Currently, trying to log into the online vault from your machine requires to be logged into your account.  Strangely enough, Norton 360 is telling me that I am logged in, yet when trying to log into the vault, it tells me to go into my Norton account (which fails, btw).  Support claims this to be a server problem that would be fixed in 24 hours - which was more than 76 hours ago

I can sign into my vault online, using the Norton web site to at least get my passwords.  On my older machine, the passwords and all are still working as it is a local vault.  SYMANTEC, BRING BACK THE LOCAL VAULT.

One other tidbit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symantec  reports the  following under the Controversies headline:

"2012 source code hack

On January 17, 2012, Symantec admitted to their network getting hacked. A hacker known as "Yama Tough" obtained Symantec's source code by hacking an Indian Government server. Yama Tough has released parts of the source code, and has threatened to release more. According to Chris Paden, a Symantec spokesman, the source code that was taken was from enterprise products that were between 5 and 6 years old.[22]

On September 25, 2012 an affiliate of the hacker group Anonymous published source code from Norton Utilities. Symantec has responded that this is from the same code leaked in January, 2012. They have confirmed that the leak included source code for 2006 versions of Norton Utilities, pcAnywhere, and Norton Antivirus.[23]

[edit]

2012 Scareware allegations and lawsuit

On January 12, 2012, James Gross sued Symantec for running fake "Scareware" scans that alert users to errors and problems that are on their computers. Gross claims after the scan only some of the errors and problems were corrected, and that in order to remove the rest the user is prompted to purchase software. After Gross purchased the software he claimed the software did not speed up his computer or remove the detected viruses. Gross later hired a digital forensics expert to back up his claim. Symantec has denied the allegations and said it will defend the case.[24] This case has brought renewed debate on some of the tactics used by some security software companies, which are similar to tactics used by crimeware.[citation needed]"

Again, is it time to stage a boycott here or simply ask for our money back? 

[edit: Clarified subject.]