Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jmcz440
Accepted Solution

norton toolbar extension in google chrome

Hello,
I am having an issue with the NORTON extension toolbar slowing and freezing webpage's when loading. I updated to 360you about 3 months ago and have not had a problem until about 7-10that days ago.
Page freezes when loading, I can't scroll or interact with page at all. If I open a new tab or go to different tab already open and come back, original page is fully loaded and operates fine.
I even bought a new router because, I bought a new laptop and problem was more prevalent. Thought maybe the wireless connection was acting up. I upgraded from a duo wireless N router WNDR3300 to an R6300 Widow Router 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit. I still had issue with both PC's: desktop with ethernet cable router connection, and NEW laptop with wireless connection. Both PC's are running Windows 7 with NORTON 360. I disabled NORTON extension in chrome settings and problem goes away.
All my products are up to date. I leave PC on all the time with automatic updates enabled. I would like to know if there is a fix for this, or maybe NORTON doesn't know about it yet.
NORTON 360 version: 6.3.0.14
Desktop: win 7, 4G of memory, 500Gb hard drive, AMD Agglomerate II X2 255 processor 3.10 GHz.
Laptop: win 7, 8G of memory, 750Gb hard drive, 2640M(17) processor.

Thanks for help.
Jason
Visitor
jmcz440

Re: norton toolbar extension in google chrome

Also, just contacted NORTON support, they told me to uninstall and reinstall chrome. I did and it did not help. I think this is a problem with NORTON Identity safe extension because it happens using Internet Explorer as well.

Jason
Visitor
jmcz440

Norton Identity Protection extension causing freezing/slow webpage loading in chrome

Hello,
I am having an issue with the NORTON extension toolbar slowing and freezing webpage's when loading. I updated to 360 about 3 months ago and have not had a problem until about 7-10 days ago.
Page freezes when loading, I can't scroll or interact with page at all. If I open a new tab or go to different tab already open and come back, original page is fully loaded and operates fine.
I even bought a new router because, I bought a new laptop around the time it started occuring and problem was more prevalent. Thought maybe the wireless connection was acting up and I had been debating upgrading my router anyway. I upgraded from a Netgear duo wireless N router WNDR3300 to an R6300 WiFi Router 802.11AC Dual Band Gigabit. I still had issue with both PC's: desktop with ethernet cable router connection, and NEW laptop with wireless connection. Both PC's are running Windows 7 with NORTON 360. I disabled NORTON extension in chrome settings and problem goes away.
All my products are up to date. I leave PC on all the time with automatic updates enabled. I would like to know if there is a fix for this, or maybe NORTON doesn't know about it yet.  Also, I just contacted NORTON support, they told me to uninstall and reinstall chrome. I did, and it did not help. I think this is a problem with NORTON Identity safe extension, as soon as I enable it the Freezing and slow loading starts happening immediately.

NORTON 360 version: 6.3.0.14
Desktop: Win 7, 4G of memory, 500Gb hard drive, AMD Athalon II X2 255 processor 3.10 GHz.
Laptop: Win 7, 8G of memory, 750Gb hard drive, 2640M(17) processor.

Thanks for help.
Jason

BarryE

Re: Norton Identity Protection extension causing freezing/slow webpage loading in chrome

Similar problem occurring with Google Drive.

If enable Norton extension Google Drive initially connects, then gets disabled. If then disable Norton extension, all works fine. See this Google posting:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/5VeZzFhvgIU.

** Do not actually have to clear cookies, as just enabling/disabling extension and restarting Chrome, reveals the problem.

All latest updates installed.

Over to you Norton ...

Visitor
raviss

Re: Norton Identity Protection extension causing freezing/slow webpage loading in chrome

I have the exact same issue.  Everytime I go to a new page, the page freezes for 20-30 sec.  CPU usage shoots up for a few secs.  I go to a new tab and come back and it starts working earlier.  I disabled norton identity safe and it is working fine now.  I have NIS 2012.  It was happening on IE.  So I installed Chrome and it is happened with Chrome also.

mark4090

Same Chrome problem here. I finally disabled the Norton extention as the browser was running too slow to use. I also did the re-install of Chrome to no avail. Chrome now loads instantly without the Norton extention.

Volunteer
Vineeth

Can you all try updating to the latest version and see if that fixes the problem? To update to the latest version, please visit the Norton Update Center. Please let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks!

Vineeth

jleonard711

I am having the exact same issues explained above. On a freshly opened instance of Chrome everything works fine, but after using it throughout the day and opening and closing tabs and having multiple tabs opened at the same time, it starts to bog down. Pages take forever to load, some will freeze completely and cause the tab to crash and then re-load, and the CPU usage is much higher than it should be. In many cases when I click on the link a page will partially load but then freeze, and I can't croll the page up or down or type in any of the boxes, but simply clicking on another tab and then going back to the first one fixes the problem.  When these things start happening I have to either close all my tabs one by one and then restart the browser, or just disable the Norton Toolbar extension and then everything is back to normal. 

I have updated both Chrome & Norton to the latest versions but that didn't help at all. In fact, I think it is one of the recent updates which is causing the problem because everything was fine up until a few months ago. 

AwaketoParadise

I'm having this problem too. Google Chrome freezes on every other page. When I disable the Norton extention eveything works fine. 

AwaketoParadise

I updated everything and I'm still having this problem