Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
philhunt

open online vault password problem

Hi

After downloading a new version of NIS when my subscription was renewed a couple of weeks ago I have had the same problem twice after a few days where i am unable to login to my online vault the first time i was prompted to uninstal and reinstall NIS using the NRnR which i did which now means i have used up all 3 of my installations :smileymad: i am allowed as i also have NIS on my laptop which is running fine, it is just the main pc where i get the error message entered incorrect password on my open online vault,  i do not wish to uninstall again as it removes all passwords saved from the laptop aswell

i know what my password is as it works on the laptop i know it is case sensitve

any solution greatly apprectiated

Phil

yank
Kudos: 2,064
Solutions: 471

Re: open online vault password problem

Hi Phil,

First of all, any reinstall on the same system does not count as another install on your license.  If you reinstalled on your desktop and have it also installed on your laptop - you have used only 2 installs and you should be able to go to your Norton Account and see that you have only used two installs and have one remaining.

You should be able to go to your Online Vault via your laptop, select Vault Open > Settings from the drop down and then Export.  You can then Export your ID Safe data following the prompts and that will keepe you logins safe while you do the clean remove and reinstall that looks like it is needed.

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of NIS.

Plese remove the copy of NIS you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via (Add/Remove or Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Remvoal Tool once and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&product...

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2013 from here:

www.norton.com/nis20

Once installation is complete, open NIS and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data if needed.

Please keep us posted.

Contributor
philhunt

Hi, thanks for answer i have done all that was suggested, in the add/remove programmes on my desktop i get the option to save passwords or delete completely i chose the first option, everything else i did as recommeded in the answer above

now when i go to open vault online password it says opening then i get an error message that says operation timed out check your net work and try again

should i redo but this time choose the second option in my desktops addd/remove programes or do you have any other ideas it is just the desktop i am having trouble with

the first time i tried to fix it myself must have used up the 3rd installation of NIS by using the NRnR tool as advised to in other answers i found to problem

windows xp if it makes any difference

Phil

yank

[ Edited ]

Hi Phil,

I have seen where leaving settings behind on occassion does in fact not give you as clean a base to start from as if you removed all settings.

Have you in fact exported your ID Safe Data as requested?  If so, please try the following prior to going back and doing the uninstall, run the NRT and then reinstall again.

Open NIS, go to Settings > Web > Identity Safe > Identity Safe Setup.  Attempt to set up a profile using the same info as you use on the laptop. 

If no joy, then I would try the reinstall using the remove all settings options.

Let us now khow things go.

Contributor
philhunt

Hi

I have done all that you suggested in the end i ended up uninstalling completely and reinstalling. i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc  but i can on laptop all passwords are the same

any further ideas

thanks for your time so far

phil

yank

philhunt wrote:

Hi

I have done all that you suggested in the end i ended up uninstalling completely and reinstalling. i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc  but i can on laptop all passwords are the same

any further ideas

thanks for your time so far

phil

Ok phil,

Let's get specific, you said "i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc" I take this as meaning that on the Norton Toolbar, you click on Vault Closed, the login screen comes up and you can log n to your Norton Account, but can not log into your Online vault when it asks for the password for that.  Correct?

When you click on Vault Closed on the NTB, does the logon open saying at the bottom that you are already logged on to your Norton Account or do you have to fill in the user name (email address) and password? 

You said you did all the things I suggested - so when you setup the new profile, did you use the same online vault password?

I know more questions than answers, but I want to make sure we are at the same place and taling about the same thing.

Contributor
philhunt

Hi

ok regarding your questions in order

number 1, correct unable to logon to vault all it does is syncing with a timer,  all other logons ok, i am able to login to identity safe

number 2, it asks for my online vault password i then get a timed out message

number 3, used same passwords, in fact once i entered my email address  the system knew i had a vault password and i could not see anywhere how to re enter a new one, i did manage to reset the logon password to the original same password that was it then

its getting late in ireland now so i will have to continue tomorrow

many thnks phil

yank

Thanks Phil,

Have a good kip - see ya tomorrow!

Contributor
philhunt

ya hopefully get it sorted i cant see how it all works perfectly on laptop but it wont accept/recognise the vault password on the desktop, if you can think of anything else to try,

Contributor
nragone

I have the same problem with the stand alone version of Norton Identity Safe. When I click on Vault Closed on the toolbar I get the window to open the vault.  It says that I am already logged into my Norton Account.  I type in my vault password and it times out.  even if I log out of  my Norton Account and then log back into it and type in my vault password, it times out. 

To bad there isn't way to keep passwords local so one doesn't have to rely on the vault.