06-28-2012 02:11 AM
Give this a try, just as a last ditch effort:
1. In your Applications -> Utilities folder, open Java Preferences
2. Make sure Java SE 6 is checked for both 64-bit and 32-bit.
3. In your Applications -> Utilities folder, open Terminal.
4. In the new window that opens, type in the command (or better copy and paste it):
sudo java -cp /Library/Application\ Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate/jlu.jar com.symantec.liveupdate.LiveUpdate -d
And look at your liveupdat.log file, or post it here/send it to us.
5. Finally, you can download & install Java from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1550
06-30-2012 11:29 PM
Thanks for your persistence.
I confirm Java SE 6 is indeed checked for both 64-bit and 32-bit.
I ran the command in Terminal and the liveupdt.log file remains totally blank. However, there might be a clue in the Terminal script which reads:
Using character set UTF-8
Command-line Product Selections to update:
(ProdName, Version, Lang, ItemSeqName, SeqNum)
Construction of line failed. Resource key: IdsJluCommandLineToolMissing
Clearly, I'm missing a particular Command Line Tool. Is this critical and, if so, where can I obtain a replacement?
Thanks also for the link to the Java download. Although I have not been brave enough to try and uninstall Java first, installing the latest version has made no difference.
Fingers crossed that the missing command line tool is the key to all my problems!
07-02-2012 12:11 AM
It sounds like somehow Java LiveUpdate was not installed correctly. Perhaps when your computer migrated.
I recommend using this tool here:
To completely remove the product from your Mac, and then re-install it. If you have problems after re-installing, it means that for some reason LiveUpdate cannot unpack the Java LiveUpdate command line tools during installation.
The fix for that is to run the command line installer manually. I'll instruct you how to do that tomorrow if re-installation doesn't work; I need to lookup the instructions at work.
07-02-2012 11:29 PM
The tool certainly found a great many files that it successfully removed. I then reinstalled NAV but, sadly, the problem is still there. So it looks as though we shall have to run the command line installer manually. I eagerly await your next instructions!