Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
ksrhee

Re: NAV For Mac 12: Automatic Antivirus Protection Unexpectedly Turned OFF

I have had this issue for a while.  Once in a while I check on the status of the auto protection, and every time I checked on that, I have noticed that the protection was turned off, and I have to turn it on manually.  So, it seems the program turns it off by itself at some point since I haven't turn it off at all.

Regular Contributor
BobP1776

It's been a month since I last posted on this.  In my case I have *NOT* had any repeat instances of failures.  I've no idea what might have changed in my configuration.  Since we haven't heard of any bug fix regardling this, I can only assume it's just a matter of chance whether it happens or not.

--Bob

Contributor
Paul1970

I think, NAV forgets the registration data sometimes.

If auto protect off I reboot my Mac and now must I put in my licence key again. :-(

Symantec Employee
Lee_G

There was at least one case of AutoProtect disabling improperly that was fixed in NAV 12.2/NIS 5.2, which were released last night.  Once you have updated to the latest version, please report back here if the issue re-occurs.  BTW I believe the license activation problem is a separate issue, but I don't think that has necessarily been addressed by the .2 patch (although some licensing issues have been addressed, so hopefully it will be less common).

-- Lee

Visitor
Siuto

I am experiencing similar problems with Norton Internet Security for Mac running on Lion. After realising that there was a significant update (the .2 patch), the patch was applied and I opened Norton Antivirus and discovered that the automatic protection has been turned off. However, I cannot actually turn the automatic virus protection and the idle-time scan back on (the buttons just don’t respond). I can’t even run a manual scan as none of the option (Quick Scan, System Scan or File Scan) would respond. Restarting the computer does not turn the features on and I have also made sure that the program is up to date by running LiveUpdate.

In the end, I contacted Norton support. At first level support, they remote login to my computer and reinstalled NIS. It did not resolve the issue. They also kept updating the program and restarting the computer in the hope of resolving the issue. The issue persists. The matter was then escalated to the engineering support team where they reinstalled NIS (again), run LiveUpdate (again) and restarting the computer a number of times (again). The issue persists.

At the moment, I have been told to keep trying to update the software through LiveUpdate which may resolve the issue, but unless Symantec is putting together some sort of a fix, I don’t see how running LiveUpdate would resolve the issue.

Symantec Employee
Lee_G

Can you tell me what is in this folder?

/Library/Application Support/Symantec/AntiVirus

In particular, there should be some folders starting with "2012".  If not, then there is a problem with LiveUpdate getting virus definitions.  I may have you send some additional info once you confirm whether or not you have any defs folders.

Visitor
Siuto

I have the following folders:

Frameworks

And files:

engine.mfst

SITApp

SymAPComm.kext

Visitor
Siuto

Norton support contacted me again today and tried various things:

Removed the software, running disk ultility to repair disk permissions and reinstalled the software.

Turned off firewall to run LiveUpdate.

Use ethernet connection instead of wifi for LiveUpdate.

Manually download and applied virus definitions.

None of these resloved the issue.

Symantec Employee
Lee_G

Sorry for the late response, I was at a conference yesterday.  Since you are apparently getting defs, I am not sure what would be causing this issue.  I didn't think to ask about your license status, is it showing days left in your subscription on the main page?

Can you follow the instructions to run the GatherSymantecInfo tool as described here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH134761

That could reveal useful info.  I'll send you a private message with an email address where you can send the info.

Amstoob

Lee_G,

I have the same issue regarding the inability to turn Norton Antivirus for Mac Automatic Protection on.  All of the buttons to turn protection on are non-responsive.  This problem started when the product was automatically updated to version 12.2.  I followed your instructions from your 03-20-2012 08:21 AM post, but I do not have any "Symantec" folder within my /Library/Application Support folder.  The virus def update function claims that I have the most recent virus definitions,  but I do not have any folder on my Mac related to the 2012-03 one you have mentioned.  My Internet Security for Mac subscription expires many months from now.  I have removed the application and reinstalled it - no change.  I have run the virus definitions update - it says my virus definitions are up-to-date but I can't find the folder to "validate" this.  Please help.  I want to turn on "automatic protection".  Thanks.