Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
jnlyn5

how to turn off auto scan for selected volumes like ipod

how do I allow a specific volume or disk access? would like to disable the auto scanning of my ipod when attached to the laptop, but want to keep scanning of unknown other volumes active in case someone tries to attach something else

Symantec Employee
ryan_mcgann

Re: how to turn off auto scan for selected volumes like ipod

Unfortunately there's no good way to disable auto disk scan for specific volumes, because somebody could just rename the volume. There's no good way to uniquely identify the disk securely. You can turn off auto disk scan for certain types of disks by following these steps:

1. Open  the Norton AntiVirus application.
  2. Click on Automatic Protection.
  3. Click on Auto Disk Scan.
  4. Deselect "iPods".
This will prevent scanning of all iPods attached to the Mac, but will still scan other types of volumes. 

Ryan McGann
Principal Software Engineer
Macintosh Products & Solutions
Symantec
Regular Contributor
BobP1776

Ryan,

How about for folks with laptops who regularly need to mount and eject their Time Machine disc and would rather not have that entire disc scanned each time it is mounted?

--Bob

Symantec Employee
Lee_G

If you're using NAV 11, it should not be scanning a Time Machine volume when it mounts for backup.  Is that occurring?

Regular Contributor
BobP1776

Unfortunately, yes, it IS occurring.

This is on a PowerPC G4 laptop running 10.5.8.  My Time Machine drive attaches via Fire Wire.

If I turn on Auto Disc Scan, with it set to scan "These Kinds of Disks", and with all but Music/Video Disks selected, then each time I attach the Time Machine drive an auto scan commences and I have to Cancel out of it.

This is with Norton Antivirus for Mac 11.1.1(2)

--Bob

Symantec Employee
Lee_G

In that case (firewire connection), a scan on mount would be expected, unfortunately.  In the special case I was referring to, the drives are mounted as network volumes (via Ethernet or Airport).

To disable, you would need to uncheck "All other disks", which may not be a very secure option, if you mount other drives that should be scanned (that are not covered by the other categories).

Regular Contributor
BobP1776

That's what I thought.  And thus the need for a "Do Not Auto Disk Scan this Disk" option.  Consider the Privacy interface in Spotlight as an example.  I.e., mount the disk in question -- canceling the auto scan if necessary -- and then drag that disk into a list of disks you don't want to have auto scan on mount.  Of course that won't work for unidentifiable volumes such as music discs but you've already got an option to turn that off.

Locally mounted Time Machine drives are particularly annoying in this regard because they take FOREVER to scan.

--Bob

Contributor
Timothy

BobP1776 wrote:

thus the need for a "Do Not Auto Disk Scan this Disk" option.  Consider the Privacy interface in Spotlight as an example.  I.e., mount the disk in question -- canceling the auto scan if necessary -- and then drag that disk into a list of disks you don't want to have auto scan on mount. 

I raised this issue with Mike Romo in January of 2008.

He indicated that it was a possibility for NAV 12.