Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
quietman
Accepted Solution

BOOTMGR is missing on my SSD

Hi

Ive used Ghost to copy from my new laptops HDD running win764  (C:) to a new installed SSD (F:) . I followed the instructions and selected 'set drive active' and 'copy mbr'.

But, when I select the drive in the BIOS to boot the SSD, I get BOOTMGR is missing. Does the drive letter need to be changed in Disk Managment?

Thanks  

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: BOOTMGR is missing on my SSD

quietman,

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management with both drives attached?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Contributor
quietman

dm1.PNG

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

You didn't copy the System Reserved Partition. It contains the booting files including bootmgr.

Rather than doing the whole project again, I suggest creating booting files in the new Win7 partition.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411

Your section ceases just before "Technical Notes".

Make sure the new drive is the only drive connected for this proceedure and the first boot.

Success?

Contributor
quietman

this assumes I have DVD to re-instllal which I dont as its an OEM win7 install... when i first started this I think a 100mb was created... so how do I copy a system partition for the new ssd? without having to have a CD/DVD?

Contributor
quietman

ive managed to create a system reserved partition on my ssd and doing another copy to the ssd F drive again to see if that will work

Contributor
quietman

still same error... I dont understand as some instructions state there should be a c:\boot directory but there is none

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

quietman,

Can you post another screenshot of Disk Management with both drives attached?

Visitor
Gadget_Freak

My personal solution for new drives is to actually load Windows 7 on the new drive. This formats the drive correctly and you do not even have configure the new install. I use a USB thumb drive that I made bootable (much faster than loading from disc). Install the new ssd, load windows 7 (any version), and then do a ghost recovery as normal. Once the Ghost image is restored, Windows will say that bootmgr is missing and you pop your Windows disc back in and do a repair my computer (might have to do this two times while it recreates your bootmgr partition. Has worked for me every time.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Gadget_Freak wrote:

Once the Ghost image is restored, Windows will say that bootmgr is missing

That error means you have made a mistake. Not Ghost or Win7. You should never see that error message.