Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tambo
Accepted Solution

Can GHOST restore a smaller partion?

I have a 466 GB HHD with 20 GB used as part of the OS.  The rest is free space.

I have created an image of this drive.  The image contains only the 20 GB.  

I have formatted the drive into two partions, One at 60GB for the OS and the other to be used as a data storage.

Then I attempted to use Ghost to restore my 20 GB image of the 466 GB drive into the 60 GB partition, ghost reaches 99% complete as reported by the progress bar, with 1 second left in the timer and never completes the operation.  I left it running for 24 hrs without luck.

Is there a limitation where if the image made was for a 466 GB partition, then the restore target has to be the same or larger?

Can ghost restore an OS image to a smaller partion?

Your commenst are most appreciated.

Setup:

Windows XP Pro - SP2

Ghost 10

Thanks. 

AllenM
Topics: 221
Kudos: 2,151
Solutions: 377

Re: Can GHOST restore a smaller partion?

[ Edited ]

tambo wrote:

I have a 466 GB HHD with 20 GB used as part of the OS.  The rest is free space.

I have created an image of this drive.  The image contains only the 20 GB.  

I have formatted the drive into two partions, One at 60GB for the OS and the other to be used as a data storage.

Then I attempted to use Ghost to restore my 20 GB image of the 466 GB drive into the 60 GB partition, ghost reaches 99% complete as reported by the progress bar, with 1 second left in the timer and never completes the operation.  I left it running for 24 hrs without luck.

Is there a limitation where if the image made was for a 466 GB partition, then the restore target has to be the same or larger?

Can ghost restore an OS image to a smaller partion?

Your commenst are most appreciated.

Setup:

Windows XP Pro - SP2

Ghost 10

Thanks. 

Hi Tambo,

Welcome to the forum. Typically images are restored to larger partitions but smaller should work as well provided the options are set appropriately in Ghost prior to starting the restore operation.

Before I outline the procedure for this, is there anything currently in the "data" partition. I suspect not since you said the rest is free space, but just want to make sure.

Also, do you recall what options you selected in Ghost when you did the restore?

Allen

Message Edited by AllenM on 10-23-2009 09:31 PM
Message Edited by AllenM on 10-23-2009 09:57 PM
Message Edited by AllenM on 10-23-2009 10:14 PM
Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14)
AllenM

Re: Can GHOST restore a smaller partion?

[ Edited ]

Hi Tambo,

I'll go ahead and include the procedure now. I assume from your description that you do NOT need to restore anything to your data partition, correct? If you do need to restore to the data partition please let me know before proceeding. Your version of Ghost is somewhat old but I believe (as I recall - I used to have Ghost 10) the options should be essentially the same.

To restore your OS partition:

Boot to the Symantec Recovery CD (SRD) and select "Recover my Computer" and then select the appropriate image to restore. Note that you need to select "Filename" from the drop down menu and NOT "Date". If you select "Date" the options below will not be presented. When you select FileName your recovery points will probably not be visible so simply hit "Browse" and browse to your recovery point file and select the appropriate image. Then select the target partition (on your new HD) to restore your image to and click "Next".

Check the following options:

Verify recovery point before restore
Check for file system errors after recovery
Resize restored drive -
Partition type - primary.
Set drive active for booting
Restore original disk signature
Restore MBR

Please let me know how it works out.

Thanks

Allen

Message Edited by AllenM on 10-23-2009 10:15 PM
Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 32 bit, 4 GB * NIS 2012 (19.8.0.14) * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Visitor
tambo

Re: Can GHOST restore a smaller partition?

AllenM, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I have already tried your suggested solution prior to seeking help here. Perhaps I have not not done a good job at explaining my setup and what I am trying to do. So let me elaborate here.

My goal is to take an existing partition and part it into 4 partitions of various capacities to manage my backups more effeciently. That is , I am trying to separate my OS from my development data and data that is not required to be backed daily. These partitions will be as follows:

1. os
  2. data
  3. sites
  4. media

Originally I have a single partition holding the all of the above information. All of this information occupies about 150 GB of my single partition 460 GB drive. I have several good and valid image files of this partition.

Here is my procedure to achieve my goal.

1. Created a valid image of my partition which happens to be my whole drive.
  2. Deleted all the data files and left the OS and Program Applications untouched. Note that the disk space utilized dropped from 150 GB to 20 GB.
  3. Defragmented the disk and run chkdisk.
  4. Created another independent image file to be used to restore my OS & Program Files to a smaller partition to be utilized later in this procedure. An IMPORTANT NOTE here is that even though the disk space used is 20 GB, the image created is for a 460GB partition. The image file size is only 20GB as expected.
  5. Now that we have the safeguards in place with good known backup images, we proceed to parting the drive.
  6. Used Diskpart to perform this operation. Parted the drive in preparation for the OS & Program Files. Created the first partition with 60GB of capacity (enough room for the os and future program installs). The rest of the 460 GB disk was left as unallocated at this time.
  7. Formatted the newly created partition.
  8. Booted my system and run Ghost from my CD. Located my OS image and utilized the custom restore option. This option gave me the same options as the ones you suggested with one exception: The option to resize the partition to fill the unallocated space was grayed out.
  9. Note that we are trying to restore a 460 GB partition that holds only 20 GB of data into a 60 GB partition. ( 20GB of data into a 60 GB capacity partition) Also note that the option to "resize the partition to fill the unallocated" indicates that ghost would expand the small partition into the available unallocated space if this option was not grayed out and selected.
  10. After selecting the target drive and partition, and clicking the finish button, ghost tries to restore but it seems that it fails to complete the operation. It reaches 99% complete with 1 second remaining and just sits there. I am not sure if this will ever complete if you just let it run for more than 24 hrs. Or if it is just hung. Although the screen animation (ones and zero binaries continue to to flow).

Note: that if you restore the same 20 GB OS & Program Files image file to another 460 GB partition everything works great. This process only takes 20 minutes to complete. That is why I suspect that step 10 of the procedure is hung up and will never complete.

It seems that images can only be restored to same size partitions or larger. If this is the case then my only option is to re-format the disk, create the partitions and install the OS and Programs from scratch. What a nightmare. getting updates, reactivating software, configuring the development localhost server etc. etc.

I am hoping that there is a better way to do this. Any suggestions are most welcome.

PS sorry for the long winded explanation. :]

AllenM

[ Edited ]

Hi Tambo,

Thank you for the more detailed explanation of what you are trying to accomplish. 

You said: "Note that we are trying to restore a 460 GB partition that holds only 20 GB of data into a 60 GB partition. ( 20GB of data into a 60 GB capacity partition) Also note that the option to "resize the partition to fill the unallocated" indicates that ghost would expand the small partition into the available unallocated space if this option was not grayed out and selected."

I mentioned earlier that the far more common scenario was to restore into a larger partition than the original but I felt this should work and I still think it "should" but apparently it is not working for you. You did select by "Filename" and not "Date", correct?

Based on what you describe it would appear that you can accomplish what you are looking for with a utility like Partition Magic which can dynamically resize and create multiple partitons without having to format and do any restorals. Have you considered this?

There are free programs which can do this as well but I have not used one of them so it's a bit hard to recommend any specific one.

If you like I can help you find some free versions of partition utilities.

Another possibility could be shrinking your OS partition (which should leave it intact) and then creating and formatting your data partitions and restoring your data from a file based backup done with Ghost.

Edit: The more I'm thinking about it the more I think this might be the option for you.

Allen

Message Edited by AllenM on 10-24-2009 11:15 PM
Message Edited by AllenM on 10-24-2009 11:17 PM
Message Edited by AllenM on 10-24-2009 11:48 PM
Volunteer
pore_vinod

Hi tambo,

I want to clear one thing. The option "Resize drive to fill unallocated space" is available only if you are restoring the image to an unallocated space and not to a partition. As you are restoring the image to a 60 GB partition which is already formatted, obviously the option will not be available.

Now, I would suggest you to do the following to obtain the desired result as per your wish. This should work.

• Format the 460 GB unallocated space on your new drive which you are intended to use as data partition.

• Delete the 60 GB space which you are indended to use as OS partition.  Do not format it. Keep it unformatted and unallocated.

• Now boot from recovery disk and restore the image to the unallocated space. When you are about to select the destination, the unallocated space will be shown as "*\ unallocated space" in the list of drive. In restore options, select the following options:

- Set drive active

- Copy MBR

- Resize drive to fill unallocated space

Let me know if you have any questions. I am waiting for the results.

--Vinod

AllenM

Hi Pore_Vinod,

Thank you for catching this since I obviously did not. When Tambo said earlier: "Used Diskpart to perform this operation. Parted the drive in preparation for the OS & Program Files. Created the first partition with 60GB of capacity (enough room for the os and future program installs). The rest of the 460 GB disk was left as unallocated at this time."

The last sentence stuck in my mind so I did not catch it. My bad.

Thanks

Allen

Visitor
tambo

Hi AllenM & Pore_Vinod, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to restore to a smaller partition. I am currently performing a couple of additional test scenarios to see if I can make this work. I will report as soon as I get some results good or bad.

So far we know what works and what does not:

It is important to note here that successful restorations means that ghost completes the operation but the end result is not a smaller partition for the os as desired.

Unsuccessful restorations mean that ghost reaches 99% complete in the progress bar and never completes the operation.

Tested scenarios

ghost10.jpg

Conclusions so far:

1.- Ghost can only restore to equal size partitions, either formatted or unallocated.

2.- Ghost can not restore to smaller size partitions either formatted or unallocated even if the target, or destination media, is large enough to accommodate the image data size.

Additional Comments:

I have tried a paid partition utility and it did not more than what diskpart can do It was a disappointment as the tool did not fulfill its promises. It failed to do the resize of the os partition. It resizes other partitions or blank partitions. I don't need to pay 50 to 70 dollars to do that when I can do so from the dos command using diskpart. Needless to say I am requesting a refund from the vendor. I have not tried Partition Magic, but I am now skeptical and I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and start from scratch.

Any comments and feedback are most welcome.

AllenM

Hi Tambo,

When you selected the location to restore to from the SRD environment, did it show as unallocated space and is this the one you selected? Did it then give you the option to resize?

With the partition utility you tried, did they not offer a trial period?

I'm waiting for your image to be validated by the moderator so we can view it.

Allen

Visitor
tambo

Hi AllenM,

Yes the SRD, showed the target as unallocated as expected.  I was able to select it as the target.  It also gave me the option to resize and fill the space.  However the result was that Ghost hangs up at 99%.

On the other hand, if the unallocated size matches the image original partition size, then it works OK.  Clearly the issue is restoring to a smaller size partition or smaller size unallocated space. 

The image just shows a table with the test scenarios.  I was not able to insert it as HTML here or as a xls file attachment. So I created a screen shot of it.  Hopefully it will be available soon.

In regards to the trial periods, these offer partial functionality for obvious reasons.  They did offer a 30 day money back.  This utility is the direct competitor to PM. 

I am currently running another attempt.  I will report my findings as soon as it finishes. 

Best regards.