Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Tris3k
Accepted Solution

Can you Boot Norton Ghost 15 from USB?

Hi,

My company has recently purchased  Norton Ghost 15 so that we can clone the HDD's on 16 machines.

Is it possible to boot Norton Ghost 15 from USB pen and clone over TCP/IP (Network)?

All the machines have identical hardware but do not have CD/DVD or FDD

Also, These machines are running a Raid-mirror.

I would like to load Norton via USB pen and clone these computers over TCP/IP

(even if we only copy one machine at a time) 

I have made the USB pen bootable with Dos but the "Autorun.exe" is not compatible with Dos

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

Regular Contributor
szczypmen

Re: Can you Boot Norton Ghost 15 from USB?

Preparing thumb drive:

http://community.norton.com/norton/attachments/norton/uploads/42/2/MakeNewNRD.pdf

Page 12, treat this tutorial as if it were Norton Ghost.

Regular Contributor
szczypmen

@UP

Wait, in my case that did not work, but you can try it on your own. If nothing work, we must wait for help from someone experienced. Though...

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Why did it not work?

Providing your system can boot to a USB drive and your using Vista or Windows 7 to prepare the drive it should work fine. You also don't necessarily need to use robocopy to copy the files, after the flash drive is prepared all you need to do is copy everything from the CD onto it or extract all the files out of the .iso to the flash drive.

Dave

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

I agree with Dave.

Tris3K, you can only do one computer at a time. You will be able to restore your Sysprep'd image to the computer being booted from the flash drive. It's probably easier to have that image on an external HD rather than a network share.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Not that it matters much, but you actually may be able to do more than one at a time.

It wouldn't be a multi-cast where the image is pushed out once to multiple systems, but it would be like 2 or 3 users copying the same file off a network, your limitation is the bandwidth.

The recovery disk loads in RAM, once it's booted all the way you should be able to pull the fask drive and boot another system with it.

But I agree it would be faster to use an external drive, if the flash drive is big enough you may even be able to use it to store the image.

Also, for some reason Ghost will only make a network connection with a valid User\pass

It can't be a blank password. I thought I would mention that because it took me a long time to figure it out. LOL

Dave

Contributor
routerguy99

Tris3k wrote:

Hi,

My company has recently purchased  Norton Ghost 15 so that we can clone the HDD's on 16 machines.

Is it possible to boot Norton Ghost 15 from USB pen and clone over TCP/IP (Network)?

I have made the USB pen bootable with Dos but the "Autorun.exe" is not compatible with Dos

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

yes

see post 1

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-to-usb-Fixed/td-p/214785

Regular Contributor
szczypmen

routerguy99 wrote:

Tris3k wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

yes

see post 1

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-to-usb-Fixed/td-p/214785

Yep, this works in my case. Thanks routerguy99  :)

Visitor
Tris3k

Thank you for the response everyone,

I am now able to boot into Norton Ghost 15 via USB (using the Grub Method) Booting to ISO

Thanks,

Tristan