Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
cosmini
Accepted Solution

ConstantGuard installation & windows/screen repaint/refresh

hi all, I have a Dell Precision M6600 and have had repeatable and reproducible issues w/ the screen repaint/refresh, after what apparently seems to be only installing the ConstantGuard (provided through Comcast).  Basically, the screen on particular windows does not refresh, for example, for Windows Services or Visual Studio, making it impossible to work on the laptop.

Here are a few pictures of the screen repaint, maximize, dragging, of the reproducible issue.

Note that when I uninstall ConstantGuard, the issue goes away.

The issue is happening w/ Nvidia Quadro 3000M as well as with AMD® FirePro® M8900 Mobility Pro Graphics card. 

Note that I have spent over a month with Dell technical support reproducing this issue, updating all the latest drivers, changing video cards, motherboards, and laptops and finally, I believe I have narrowed the issue down to just the installation of the ConstantGuard software -- as, when this piece of software is uninstalled, the screen repaint problems go away and the screen is repainted properly.

Any thoughts on this issue or perhaps bypassing ConstantGuard and perhaps only installing the NortonAntivirus Suite (providing the suite-only installation does not introduce the same bug)?  

thanks a great bunch for any thoughts on understanding and resolving this issue that's been grieving me for the latter part of the last two months?  -- any pointers are much appreciated!!!

Cos

screen resize after motherboard and video card replaced on 20120223.JPGissue, : 

improper_refresh_of_windows_resize.JPG

Resize_MaxWindow.JPG

Visual Studio scrollbars not repainting, leaving large areas of the screen gray/unusable: 

visual_studio_gray area_improper refresh.JPG

SUBASH_PRABU
Kudos: 257
Solutions: 90

Re: ConstantGuard installation & windows/screen repaint/refresh

Hi Welcome

You can skip the Installation of the Constant guard by selecting " No Thanks " when it prompts you to install it. Go here and select GET IT NOW -> Select NO Thanks when it offers Constant Guard->on the next page Start Download and that'll download and install the Norton Security Suite without Constant Guard.

yank
Kudos: 2,147
Solutions: 501

Hi cosmini,

Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) has caused many problems for Comcast users, as is evidenced by the posts on the Comcast Security Forums ( http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/bd-p/13 ).  Please do not get the CGPS posts confused with a separate program called simply Constant Guard which is a BOT detection program ran by Comcast.

In order to ensure you have all of CGPS components removed, you need to go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (Programs & Features) and uninstall any/all of the follwoing:  Guarded ID, ID Vault, CGPS,Comcst/Xfinity Toolbar, and CA Pest Patrol Real-time protection.

This should leave your Norton Security Suite (NSS) installed and running properly.  If not then what Subash has told you is correct as far as downloading only the NSS. 

I would suggest you follow the instructions in this FAQ if you encounter problems with NSS after removing all the CGPS components:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

The FAQ will take you to the same page as Subash suggested for the download and the same popup for CGPS will appear - just click on No Thanks and then Get it Now will be revealed for the download.

Be advised you may have to run liveupdate and reboot up to 10 times until the "no more updates available" is displayed.

Once everything is updated please verify via Suppport > About  (main page of NSS) that yo have version 5.2.0.13

Any problems/questions, you know where to find us.

Visitor
cosmini

[ Edited ]

thx a bunch -- already done that -- did a system restore and then  installed Norton AV only, without the ConstantGuard suite and the system looks great -- no trace of the issue.  Any way ConstantGuard can be looked at for that particular issue of screen refresh/repaint, perhaps a dll or dcom component that it's overriding is causing issues?  -- or from the looks of it, I should not even bother?  

thx much,

Cos

yank

cosmini wrote:

thx a bunch -- already done that, installed Norton AV without the ConstantGuard and the system looks great -- no trace of the issue.  Any way ConstantGuard can be looked at for that particular issue of screen refresh/repaint, perhaps a dll or dcom component that it's overriding is causing issues?  

thx much,

Cos

Glad you got it sorted - you can still use the info I supplied in order to ensure  all of CGPS has been removed.

FWIW, we (customers) have been complaining to Comcast for going on a year now (since CGPS first came out)  about the program causing different problems on different systems and it seems like if one thing is fixed, it breaks something else.  IMHO, users are better off without CGPS.

Visitor
cosmini

Glad you got it sorted - you can still use the info I supplied in order to ensure  all of CGPS has been removed.

FWIW, we (customers) have been complaining to Comcast for going on a year now (since CGPS first came out)  about the program causing different problems on different systems and it seems like if one thing is fixed, it breaks something else.  IMHO, users are better off without CGPS.

aha -- great to know that !!!  thanks a bunch -- I will definitely keep CGPS off my system.

The interesting thing is, I have about 4 other laptops or desktops at my place and all are installed with CGPS but none are causing the issue.... so I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is happening on only this system.  It is possible that all my other machines have been installed about a year ago or longer, in which case an older version of CGPS or no CGPS at all might have been installed  :-) 

yank

cosmini wrote:

aha -- great to know that !!!  thanks a bunch -- I will definitely keep CGPS off my system.

The interesting thing is, I have about 4 other laptops or desktops at my place and all are installed with CGPS but none are causing the issue.... so I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is happening on only this system.  It is possible that all my other machines have been installed about a year ago or longer, in which case an older version of CGPS or no CGPS at all might have been installed  :-) 

I would suggest checking for the presence of the programs I mentioned to remove in my other post on the other systems.  If none of them are present, then CGPS is not installed.  NSS had been offered as a freebie for at least a year prior to the time CGPS came about.

My quick research of CGPS on the Comcast Forums shows CGPS first came out in the April, 2011 timeframe, NSS has been around since about Feb, 2010.

Also, you may recall I said this about CGPS  the program causing different problems on different systems  this could also be why just one of your systems acted as it did.

Visitor
cosmini

I would suggest checking for the presence of the programs I mentioned to remove in my other post on the other systems.  If none of them are present, then CGPS is not installed.  NSS had been offered as a freebie for at least a year prior to the time CGPS came about.

My quick research of CGPS on the Comcast Forums shows CGPS first came out in the April, 2011 timeframe, NSS has been around since about Feb, 2010.

Also, you may recall I said this about CGPS  the program causing different problems on different systems  this could also be why just one of your systems acted as it did.

yep -- thx a bunch for the pointers!!!  your answers have helped ally my aggravations w/ this issued I've had for the last 2 months so it appears that just a bit more research is needed on my part, to figure out just what part of this suite might be causing the issue.  thx again!!!