Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
Abhijit_Sri
Accepted Solution

Does facebook wall scan filter/remove Spam links as well as Malicious links?

[ Edited ]

I have a friend using Norton Security Suite recently downloaded on her computer running Windows 7. She has a daughter whose Facebook account has been sending out the usual Spam link to people on her friend list. viz. "Click here to see who viewed your account". I ran the Facebook Wall scan for her but it did not find any unsafe links in the last 24 hours. But a new SPAM link had definitely been posted in the last 24 hours.

I have a few questions around this.

1. Does the Facebook Wall Scan, report both SPAM links and Malicious links, or the latter only?

2. Is it possible to extend the Facebook Wall Scan to extend the scan for posts interval more than the 24 hour default? If so how? 

Thanks in advance for all your help.

yank
Kudos: 2,063
Solutions: 470

Re: Does facebook wall scan filter/remove Spam links as well as Malicious links?

Abhijit_Sri wrote:

I have a friend using Norton Security Suite recently downloaded on her computer running Windows 7. She has a daughter whose Facebook account has been sending out the usual Spam link to people on her friend list. viz. "Click here to see who viewed your account". I ran the Facebook Wall scan for her but it did not find any unsafe links in the last 24 hours. But a new SPAM link had definitely been posted in the last 24 hours.

I have a few questions around this.

1. Does the Facebook Wall Scan, report both SPAM links and Malicious links, or the latter only?

The Facebook Wall Scan only checks for malicious URLs - not for spam

2. Is it possible to extend the Facebook Wall Scan to extend the scan for posts interval more than the 24 hour default? If so how? 

To the best of my knowledge, the default and only setting is 24 hours.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

If you go to Tasks > Run Scans and clickon the HELP, you will taken to a page explaining all the scans, as well additonal links at the bottom of the page for addtional infomation on the Facebook Wall Scan.

Regular Contributor
Abhijit_Sri

Re: Does facebook wall scan filter/remove Spam links as well as Malicious links?

Didn't  realise I had posted this at the wrong spot. My bad.

Thanks for the reply Yank.

I do feel that Norton should give attention to the SPAM links in the Facebook Wall Scan as well. SPAM is now a big concern for Facebook users now, considering how irritating and sometimes embarassing it can be.

dickevans

Abhijit_Sri wrote:

Didn't  realise I had posted this at the wrong spot. My bad.

Thanks for the reply Yank.

I do feel that Norton should give attention to the SPAM links in the Facebook Wall Scan as well. SPAM is now a big concern for Facebook users now, considering how irritating and sometimes embarassing it can be.

Hi,

Part of the problem with trying to filter facebook is that none of it is on your computer where your Norton protection can work on it.. The link problem is different in that information is passing through your firewall and being monitored.

Folks with web based email accounts have a similar problem. Their accounts are always available for hacking and when one gets compromised everybody suffers. Keeping your addressbook on your computer behind your Norton protection is much safer for you and all those you have listed.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21