Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
coyote2

EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist...

Ghost 14 backups now fail with:

"Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (F:\). Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_SET_SNAP_VOLUMES) failed. Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

What kind of "system resources" might this mean?

Backups have been working for years (so restoring to a few weeks ago perhaps may solve it).  This machine has 3GB RAM.  I can try increasing Virtual Memory (currently 4608MB) but I see (monitoring during a backup attempt now) that only 254MB of the system's Virtual Memory is in use.

I wonder if this might be related to the IRPStackSize increase (to 18 from the default [15]) I made yesterday in the registry because I started getting "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" when trying to access shares over the network; solved that issue, but now Ghost can't complete a backup job.

Super Keylogger Crusher
mythbuster

Re: EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist...

coyote2,

Are you attempting to backup on a network device. If yes, do you have any AV products installed?

Backup Exec System Recovery (the mother of Ghost) KB article states that it is due to network latency and timeouts. Check out the article below for more information.  

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55684 

Hope this helps.

-MbR

"Mythbuster is now a SUPER keylogger crusher" - MbR
Regular Contributor
coyote2

[ Edited ]

mythbuster wrote:

Are you attempting to backup on a network device?

Thank you very much for your reply, mythbuster. 

No, both backup (source and destination) hard drives are connected to SATA ports on the computer's motherboard.

(I haven't tried backups over ethernet since the 1900's, wow they were slow.)

(I'm alarmed to discover that last night backups on my *other* computer failed with these exact error messages, so I could not be more motivated to solve this.)

Regular Contributor
High_Kicks

hey...!

i came across these posts. hope they can help you!

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-create-snapshot-ioctlquerysnap-api-failed

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57808

reply back with your findings!

good luck! :smileyhappy:

hk

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

I'm fairly sure that reg hack would need to be done on the server for it to do any good.

Change the value of the key on your system to 15 (don't delete the key you created, just change it to the default value).

Then see if Ghost starts working like it should again.   Only if you start getting the error again try adding that key to the server.

(The system housing the network share is the server, your system getting the error would be the client).

I'll also guess you get the error trying to access a USB or other external drive attached to a networked system?

Dave

Regular Contributor
coyote2

High_Kicks wrote:

i came across these posts. hope they can help you!

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-create-snapshot-ioctlquerysnap-api-failed

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57808

Thank you very much for those, HK!

The IRPStackSize hack allowed me to complete one backup (repeat runs failed though), but even that first one took 15 times as long as normal.  Then I did some testing of repeating that first one, with increasing amounts of Virtual Memory (up to 3 times my 3GB RAM); the backup time didn't change, nor did the very tiny amount of Virual Memory which was in use.

At the moment I can't dive any deeper into those links, because I've reverted both machines to previous weeks (5 and 2 weeks ago respectively) using system backup images; this did solve the problem (for now, I'm not done repeating the system changes during the 5 weeks yet).

DaveH wrote:

I'm fairly sure that reg hack would need to be done on the server for it to do any good.

Change the value of the key on your system to 15 (don't delete the key you created, just change it to the default value).

Then see if Ghost starts working like it should again.   Only if you start getting the error again try adding that key to the server.

(The system housing the network share is the server, your system getting the error would be the client).

I'll also guess you get the error trying to access a USB or other external drive attached to a networked system?

Thank you very much, DaveH!

It never occurred to me to hack the reg on the client, since I understood that it was for the server.  As I mentioned above I've (for now) resolved the issue by reverting both machines to previous weeks; if the issue returns perhaps I'll try creating that key (with the default of 15) on the client.

All my hard drives are attached to the motherboard (either onboard SATA, or eSATA on PCI cards); if the issue returns, I can try accessing a disc in my USB optical drive, though.

Anyway, I'm hoping my (odd) issue doesn't return, but I'm monitoring backups, and what I do to the systems, carefully so if it returns I might learn what causes it.

Thanks again,

coyote

Regular Contributor
coyote2

coyote2 wrote
Anyway, I'm hoping my (odd) issue doesn't return, but I'm monitoring backups, and what I do to the systems, carefully so if it returns I might learn what causes it.

The issue has been resolved (so far) by doing nothing (differently), simply repeating the exact steps I had taken originally.

First I found what required the IRPStackSize reg hack; the installation of Spyware Doctor 8.0.0.654 (which messed up network sharing from the PC; my other [otherwise identically configured XP Pro sp3] PC has been running Spyware Doctor 8.0.0.624 for months without needing a IRPStackSize hack).

So I did the hack (increasing to "18" from the default of "15"), and my network sharing of the PC returned.  They I ran a Ghost backup, and it completed as quickly as usual!

So just repeating the process (thanks to a Ghost backup image restoral) resolved my issue!

Regular Contributor
coyote2

coyote2 wrote:

coyote2 wrote

The issue has been resolved (so far) by doing nothing (differently), simply repeating the exact steps I had taken originally.

First I found what required the IRPStackSize reg hack; the installation of Spyware Doctor 8.0.0.654 (which messed up network sharing from the PC; my other [otherwise identically configured XP Pro sp3] PC has been running Spyware Doctor 8.0.0.624 for months without needing a IRPStackSize hack).

So I did the hack (increasing to "18" from the default of "15"), and my network sharing of the PC returned.  They I ran a Ghost backup, and it completed as quickly as usual!

So just repeating the process (thanks to a Ghost backup image restoral) resolved my issue!

After 6 weeks, the issue has returned on one of my computers.  Ghost 14 is again (mysteriously) "reconciling" incrementals and giving the error message:

"Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of (F:\). Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_VSNAP_SET_SNAP_VOLUMES) failed. Error EBAB03F1: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

Six weeks ago I uninstalled Spyware Doctor and NOD32.  Ever since I have instead been running NAV (with "Idle Time Optimizer" turned off), and without the IRPStackSize reg hack.

I'm inclined to next try the IRPStackSize reg hack again.

If that doesn't work I may uninstall Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier (which I have set to NOT automatically defrag the internal physical hard drives involved in backups [as sources or destinations]; I have ONLY been defragging those drives before base backups, and again, the error only occurs with the incrementals a day or two later);.  I have also emailed Diskeeper about the patch jlua001 mentioned in this thread.

Since all was well for 6 weeks I suspect this doesn't matter, but in addition to Ghost backups, overnight I was also running an NAV scan, using the free Comodo firewall, and uploading via bittorrent with Vuze.