08-25-2008 02:16 PM
I had a major hard drive crash and had to reinstall Windows XP on my Dell. I now need to recover my recent backups. Unfortunately, I can find no way in Save and Restore to recover the files I backed up using the File Backup option. All I see on my external hard drive are lists of "fbfFilesXXX" directories filled with ".fbf" files. I have no clue how to recover these files. Save and Restore is no help.
Any suggestions anyone! I am desperate!
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-25-2008 04:57 PM - edited 08-25-2008 04:57 PM
Yes, in Norton Save and Restore there is a mechanism to recover this information. Do the following:
1) On the Home page, click on Recover My Files
2) In the left side bar, click on File and Folder
3) Click on File | Import Backup Destination
4) Browse to the folder where your backups were stored, then click OK.
5) After it imports all the information, you can then access your files by entering all or part of a filename in the Find Files To Recover, then click on Search. If you want all files, just click on Search.
Note: You will not see any files listed until you click on Search.
Also, just a tidbit on NSR. The File and Folder backup option is the secondary method of backup for NSR. It was designed to give extra protection to your data files between the normal backups, i.e. the kinds you backup you get when you say Backup My Computer. When you backup your computer, NSR can restore the whole machine to the time of the backup and in the scenario you experienced, it could lay everything down on a brand new drive.
08-25-2008 08:35 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. This did the trick! I also used NSR to restore most of the "whole machine" -- but the last image was later than the individual file backups.
I'm all set now. Thanks again.