Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
azureana

Getting rid of Norton Security Scan

I downloaded this by accident the other day and I have tried to get rid of it through the usual way: control panel, add or remove programs, and delete it. However, every time I turn my computer back on, it's back! I've downloaded one of the norton removal tools (but so many programs were listed none of which were the norton security scan that I don't know if I got the correct one) but that did nothing. Please help!
Rootkit Eradicator

Re: Getting rid of Norton Security Scan

Do you mean Norton Internet Security or the Norton Security Scan via the Web Site? 

I would advise Running the N.R.T. twice-in-a-row if you mean the former, that is, once you have Re-started from using the N.R.T. once, use it again.

Thursday, November 21, 2013: The THREATCON was changed to Level 1: Normal | Tue., Nov. 05, 2013: Zero-Day Vulnerability: Microsoft Security Advisory 2896666 | Saturday, November 09, 2013: Cyber-Criminals Serve Up A Veritable Smorgasbord Of Threats For South Koreans | Wednesday, October 09, 2013: New Internet Explorer Zero-Day Targeted In Attacks Against Korea And Japan [C.V.E.-2013-3897]
Visitor
azureana

I tried that but it's still there. And it is called Norton Security Scan on my desktop. I got it when I downloaded the latest Adobe update. Thanks for the try though!
huwyngr
Topics: 1,003
Kudos: 2,738
Solutions: 368

Here's a link to the KnowledgeBase article on Norton Security Scan.

From that it should uninstall in the normal way.

Normally when that happens one remedy is to install the item again and try uninstalling it again.

Note that if you use the Norton Removal Tool it will remove ALL Norton applications -- even GHOST, Save & Restore etc -- and that there is no selection so if you do use it make sure you have what you need to reinstall everything -- media and KEYs. However it would not surprise me if the Norton Removal Tool was not included on the current tool.

Have you checked msconfig to see if there is an item for it in the startup list that you can uncheck?

A further thing to try is to install it again and also to install Revo Uninstaller which is a very neat and powerful free uninstaller application which begins by running the normal uninstall routine but then if you want will go on and scour the disk and the registry etc for leftovers.

Hugh
Administrator
Dave_Coleman

I asked a co-worker who has worked on that product. He says you should easily be able to uninstall it using Add/Remove. If it is not available in Add/Remove, then it probably had a faulty installation. He suggested running the installation again. You may be given an option to uninstall it via the installation program. If not, installing it again could fix the faulty install, enabling you to use Add/Remove to uninstall it afterwards.

I hope this helps.

huwyngr

Thanks for spotting that and checking it out.

Glad my thoughts matched.

Hugh
avalon_rulz

I am really frustrated because I did not knowingly install any Norton product and yet somehow Norton Security Scan has popped up on my computer and I can't permanently uninstall it.

I have uninstalled NSS using the Add/Remove Programs but it keeps coming back.  If I knew what other program had installed NSS on my computer I would uninstall that, too.

When I looked for a Norton Removal Tool, there is not a link specifically for Norton Security Scan.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Should I just select any random Norton product on that page?  I just want this thing off my computer for good.

Administrator
Dave_Coleman

Hi Avalon,

Norton Security Scan is installed along with the Google Pack. Perhaps you got it from there? Google has a download manager that controls the download experience. Perhaps if you re-ran that?

Obviously, you have experienced a bad install. In the About box, there is a product SKU. If you provide me that SKU, I believe it is tied to a vendor and I could pass it along to the NSS team to figure out which product installed NSS.

Have you already tried the steps listed in the messages above to remove NSS after a bad install?

Let me know your progress.

Best wishes,

jorgebarrera

I have the same problem.  Somehow Norton Security Scan was installed on my computer.  Maybe one of my kids did it accidentally while surfing.  I know I did not install it.  I have no Norton products on my computer.

Anyhow, I have uninstalled this program many times using control panel.  Everytime I reboot it si back.  It is acting very much like a trojan/virus, with an auto-install on startup.

I would also like to know how to get rid of this program.  

huwyngr

What version of Windows are you using?

You probably need to look in the startup configuration to see if it is listed there. And if as I too have seen, it comes with a Google product you may have to remove all traces of that to stop it coming back.

You might try, next time it comes back, using RevoUninstaller in its most severe mode since it will look for hidden files and bits of the registry that the normal uninstall does not. I don't normally recommend using third party uninstallers but this one is sensibly set up to use the product's own uninstall module, which is what Control Panel does, but gives you options beyond that telling you what it will do. It also offers a restore option if something unexpected happened -- as it did for me when I thought PCHealth was a third party performance enhancer but turned out to be part of Windows itself as I found out when HELP stopped working!

Hugh