Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
cbsm6940

Ghost 12- 32 hours for 138 gig backup! Use to take about 6

When I first installed Ghost 12, a 100-120gig backup would take about 6 hours with no compression going from one hard drive to a secondary on the same IDE.  Lately my backups have been taking up to a day and half with no changes to my setup.

I defragged both drives and that didn't help.  I then wiped and 0'd data on the destination drive, re-defragged my primary drive, reinstalled and updated Norton 12, and it still took forever.  Thinking that it may be a mechanical issue with my drives, I installed 2 new in the box drives, restored off a backup and it still takes 30-something hours.

I have followed suggestions here about smart sector copying, etc., but can't seem to get back to my old performance.  Any suggestions?

Why can I "restore" that much data in about 45 minutes, but it takes a day and a half to back it up?!

Thanks!

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

Re: Ghost 12- 32 hours for 138 gig backup! Use to take about 6

Does the backup process take a long time with any portion of the backup process?  Are these incremental images or base images?  If incrementals, try deleting the vsnap.idx file (hidden file on the root of each drive) and trying again. 

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

This can also be due to hardware problems.  One example is a bad Northbridge chip overheating.  Try checking if any of the chips on your motherboard are getting hot (please use caution as when they overheat it can be very hot and can cause burns).  You may need to replace the motherboard depending on if it's a hardware problem and what the problem is. 

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
cbsm6940

Full backups.  I backup every day and keep 3 days worth of backups auto delete the older ones.

I had to restore last night after a virus killed my cmd.exe, regedit, and killed firefox.  Symantec made a profit after I bought NAV 2009 =)

The restore process took just over 2 hours, but I know that's probably because restore is running off a very limited system on the boot-cd.

I appreciate the advice on checking the MB.  I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks!