Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
TravisH

Ghost 14 - Recovering Multiple Partitions?

I cannot restore multiple partitions to a single physical drive using Ghost 14.

I have a laptop named MAX which has 1 physical drive with 3 partitions labeled C: D: E: respectively.  MAX is running WinXP SP2.

I used Ghost 14 to create a backup of the entire drive as described in Chapter 6 "Backing up entire drives" of the User Guide. 

Recovery points MAX.sv2i, MAX_C_Drive001.v2i, MAX_D_Drive001.v2i, MAX_E_Drive001.v2i were created and written to an external USB drive.

Then I attempted to recover entire drive as described in Chapter 14 "Recovering a computer" -

• Boot with the SRD
  • Click on 'Recover My Computer' then 'Next'
  • Select 'System' then 'Browse'
  • Navigate to the USB drive, select the MAX.sv2i then 'Open' then 'Next'
  • Error dialog pops up over the 'Recover Points to Restore' screen:

There are problems with some of the entries in the system index file.
      Entry 1: Error EC950006: The destination is not valid.
      Entry 2: Error EC950006: The destination is not valid.
      Entry 3: Error EC950006: The destination is not valid.
      Please select each entry with a problem and click on the Change button to resolve.

• Click on 'OK'
  • In the 'Recover Points to Restore' screen, each .v2i file is listed but the Target drive for each is "Invalid".
  • When I select any the .v2i files then click on 'Change' then 'Next', I get another Error dialog:

Error EC95000F: Enter a valid recovery point filename to continue.
      Error E0BB00B2: The image file file://..../MAX*.v2i has already been opened.

At this point I just hit 'Cancel'.

Restarting and selecting 'Filename' instead of 'System', I can restore each of the partitions separately but they just overwrite the previous restore instead of creating a new partition.

So ... how do you restore multiple partitions to a single physical drive?

Visitor
TravisH

Re: Ghost 14 - Recovering Multiple Partitions?

[ Edited ]

Update:

Going back and using Partition Magic to create C: D: E: partitions yields the same error - "destination is not valid" - when using the "System" option.

Using the "Filename" option works but this now requires me to boot with another utility, create separate partitions, reboot with the SRD, and run Recover My Computer 3x to restore each partition.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is Ghost 14 incapable of restoring multiple partitions in a single operation?

Message Edited by TravisH on 09-15-2008 12:13 PM
Message Edited by TravisH on 09-15-2008 12:14 PM
Super Spyware Scolder
Phil

Is this on XP or Vista?  Which SP?

Super Spyware Scolder
Phil

Disregard.  Missed that you already answered that.

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

What do you by using the "system" option?  Are you saying you are trying to make C, D, and E primary partitions?  You should only have one primary partition on a drive.  The other two should be logical extended partitions. 

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation
Visitor
TravisH

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, you can have up to 4 primary partitions on a single drive but only one can be 'active'. 

Or you can have a primary partition and one extended partition that is subdivided into logical partitions.

We've been using 3 primary partitions for C: D: E:. 

But I will try again using one primary C: and one extended partition subdivided into 2 logical partitions D: and E:.

Visitor
TravisH

Unfortunately, nothing we've tried works.   Ghost will simply not restore multiple partitions.

But we did solve the problem - we used ACRONIS.

Worked just fine, no issues at all. 

We're very disappointed with Ghost and its lack of support and won't be using it any longer.

Tim_Lopez
Topics: 353
Kudos: 1,512
Solutions: 890

[ Edited ]

Hello TravisH,

Sorry for the frustrations caused by this. Please be assured that we are still committed to providing support for this issue. The last we had heard from this post, you were going to attempt to create one primary partition with 2 extended partitions. Unfortunatly, we did not get a response on the result from this until you had given up.

We apologize for the frustration in getting this issue solved, and are dissapointed that we were not able to help you further resolve these issues.

Please let us know if you would like us to proceed further to help resolve your issues.

Message Edited by Tim_Lopez on 10-01-2008 02:40 PM
Cheers,
Tim Lopez
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation
Contributor
WaltG

Tim,

Although the original creator of this post has lost interest, this is still a problem.  In my efforts to circumvent the issues I had encountered with NIS 2009 and Ghost (thread http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=15692,which you had reviewed),  I constructed an environment with two operating system partitions (each primary, but one active and the other hidden. ). I use each partition to back up a quiesced version of the other.  This works fine with Ghost 12, but does not work with Ghost 14. I receive the same errors TravisH received (EC95000F followed by E0BB00B2).

Multiple primary partitions is a perfectly legitimate configuration.

This appears to be a bug introduced in Ghost 14.

Please see the details in the thread link above.

Walt

Symantec Employee
erik_carlstrom

I've sent you a private message.

Erik
Product Manager
Symantec Corporation