Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
twistedreflex

Ghost 15.0 - Making a HDD Image to Bootable CD/DVD

I havent used any version of Ghost beyond 9.0 (I use 7.0 and 9.0 for corpotate support)

I purchased Ghost 15.0 thinking that it would work as the previous versions had in the past, plus some new features.

Reason for purchasing Ghost 15.0: It seems Toshiba doesnt give you a System Restore Disk now with their PCs. So I have to make a System Restore Disk myself. I have trusted Ghost in the past for this task. I figured it would be the best route.

I am not interested in making images to be moved to a remote hard drive or another remote location over the internet

I want to know if Ghost 15.0 will allow me to "clone" my entire HDD as 7.0 & 9.0 does (allowing me to make a .gho image) and move that image to a removable media as a CD or DVD.

I can make the system recovery disk as instructed on the Ghost 15.0 program. I also have the original disk from Ghost 15.0 (not a downloaded ISO).

Ultimately, I want to have something like the Ghost 15.0 restore disk copied,... but with my HDD Image file on the SAME DISK as well to avoid multiple disk use.

Thanks!

huntly2

Re: Ghost 15.0 - Making a HDD Image to Bootable CD/DVD

Let me tell you how setting Ghost 15 to "Copy My Hard Drive" worked for me. My 1- week old dual boot (XP/Win 7) computer would not boot on the next restart. Instructed by Tech Support Chat to use the installation disk to Repair my computer, Repair scrambled my partitions leaving my XP partition unaccessable and Win 7 only bootable using my backup removeable drive connected. This must be an issue because there is an instruction to use Windows Repair off the installation disk listed in tech support for Ghost 15. Thanks Symantek.

Visitor
twistedreflex

So I went to Best Buy to explain how stupid the lack of media options are with Ghost 15.0 and tried to return it,... good thing you cant return software.

The "kid" at BB tells me "Sir, removable media includes a remote drive such as HDD's and memory sticks. It isnt just limited to CD's and DVD's anymore"

My reply: "Well you see that is very true, however, right here on the back of the box Norton Ghost 15.0 comes with it says "" And you can backup to most storage devices, including extgernal hard drives, networked drives, recordable and rewritable CDs and DVDs, and even now Blu-ray Disc.""  Which is not true,.... about the CD's and DVD's.

You can not boot to the Ghost 15.0 disk and then create an image of the entire drive to burn it to a CD or DVD as you could in Ghost 9.0   The Ghost 15.0 program tells you it isnt allowed or supported when attempted.

Customers that trust and relied on Ghost in the past like myself NEED this feature.

If this function can not be done (Symantec,.. this is me talking to you), I need to return your product to you for a full refund.  I will use a competitors product that doesnt fail in areas that are a common source of backup method for the PC community.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

twistedreflex wrote:

You can not boot to the Ghost 15.0 disk and then create an image of the entire drive to burn it to a CD or DVD as you could in Ghost 9.0  

twistedreflex,

Ghost 9 can't do this. It is very similar to Ghost 15. They create .v2i image files.

Earlier you mentioned Ghost 9 can create a .gho image. It can't do that although it can restore a .gho image.