Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
MrFrisbee

Ghost 15 Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session

I have noticed the error below in my log files - it is not generated at every boot of the system (running Windows 7 64bit) and can be clear for a week (or longer) and then appear.

Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session.
Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system.
Error E0BB0147: The operation 'Snap Volume' is not currently enabled for this Volume. (UMI:V-281-3215-6016)

Details:
Source: Norton Ghost

I have tried a few basic fixes that I have read on here (running the norton fixinstall utility for example).  Attached is the partinfo file.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Do I even need to worry about it? Backups seem to work without error.  I know this is happening on my daughters laptop too (same version of Ghost installed).

dickevans

Re: Ghost 15 Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session

Peanut gallery here:

I do my backups to an external USB drive. The first one I had didn't always initialize when the system booted or when I had been playing in other boot drives. I resolved the problem by changing the backup drive to a more reliable one.

May have no bearing on your problem. If is, sorry to disturb.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

Re: Ghost 15 Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session

This is an old post, but were you able to resolve this issue? If you are still getting the errors, we want to resolve this as this errors could mean your backups are not VSS-enabled.

-Andy

Visitor
MrFrisbee

Yes, I still have the problem.  I have not been offered a solution and I have no idea what VSS is!

Please tell me how to solve this - it is clearly a common problem.

Yes, I update to a USB external drive.

Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

This solution is a little tricky, but try it if you can:

1. Browse to the folderC:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\win32\win32\  (change this to Win64 if your system is 64-bit).
2. Copy Symsnap.sys, V2iMount.sys, VProEventMonitor.sys, and wimfltr.sys from that location to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\
3. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\
4. Double-click the FIXINSTALL.BAT to run it.  This will fix any missing registry settings related to the driver files.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Run another backup.

-Andy

Visitor
MrFrisbee

Before I do this please consider the following.

1. I have an internal (secondary) SATA drive that acts as the location for a weekly backup.

2. I have an external USB drive that I plug in occassionally to do a backup to and I keep that separately.

3. The Ghost error is very random and may happen 3 times one day and then not again for a week.  So, backups appear to run to the internal drive without a problem

As this is random - what do you think the problem is before I try fiddling with the registry?

Charles.

Visitor
MrFrisbee

Can you please update this????????

Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

[ Edited ]

Charles,

Go ahead and follow those steps above. The updates to the registry are done by Ghost only. You only have to copy those file before running the .BAT file. One thing I wanted to add -- when you run that fixinstall.bat file, right-mouse click on it and choose to 'Run as Administrator...'.

Once complete, reboot the machine and re-test.

-Andy

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Hello Mr.Frisbee, Andy,

I am experiencing the same issues with Ghost 15.0.1 on my Windows XP SP3 machine since re-installing Ghost a week ago. I did use the Norton Removal Tool and ran this twice before re-installing.

I have also noticed the errors in my log files which are only generated occasionally during boot.

Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session.
Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system.
Error E0BB0147: The operation 'Snap Volume' is not currently enabled for this Volume. (UMI:V-281-3215-6016)

I have also tried running the Norton fixinstall utility but for some reason I have a file missing! I'm not sure if I should have it on my XP system but V2iMount.sys is missing from the location mentioned in the posts above!

To give you an idea of my backup method, I have a 1TB SATA drive which I slide in & out of a bay port on the front of my machine. Effectively ghost sees this drive as an internal drive. However, after I have completed my backups, I then shut down my machine and slide the drive out for safe storage.

For some reason after removal of my SATA drive ghost takes some 4-5 minutes at every bootup to scan my disks and occasionally results in an error message stating 'unable to reconcile changes since last backup'.  In an effort to resolve this issue I had to set status reporting to 'No Status Reporting' but now the ghost icon always shows a yellow exclamation mark.

Prior to running the Norton Removal Tool 3 weeks ago and ultimately uninstalling both Norton Internet Security 2012 and Ghost,   ghost was behaving really well and had no issues with me backing up in this way. In fact this is the only way I've ever managed to get ghost to work properly. For years I battled with failed backups to USB devices but the removable SATA drive cured that problem instantly.

I would really appreciate any help on this one please.

Many thanks

T-R-D

Regular Contributor
Tube-Rider-Dude

Hello again, sorry for my double post, I ommitted to include my 'Partinfo,txt'.

Please note: I have looked at the info myself and one thing puzzles me and I'm not sure if this may indicate a problem:

C:Drive is shown as DISK 0 which is correct.

D:Drive which is my Secondary drive is shown as DISK 2 (Should this not be shown as disk 1)?!!

E:Drive which is my removable SATA Drive and used for backups only is shown as DISK 1

It seems that the numbering of D&E are the wrong way around to me, maybe I'm wrong, hopefully someone can please verify this for me.

Many thanks

T-R-D