Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Binary-Synapse
Accepted Solution

Ghost 15 - More questions

[ Edited ]
Hello.
Can someone please answer these questions:

1) One of the reasons I was forced to switch to Ghost15 was the fact that my Toshiba laptop has a normal Phoenix BIOS which prevents it from recognizing my WD 3 TeraByte External USB HDD.
This is because my BIOS does not support UEFI.
UEFI allows HDDs with more than 2,19TB to be used as primary storage (if using 64bit operative systems and GPT partitions).
In my case when I call the BIOS BBS popup screen I get no WD 3TB drive boot option (although my 1TB Iomega external USB HDD gets perfectly recognized in the same computer and I can even use it inside Ghost 11.5.1).
That means I cannot use my WD 3TB USB HDD drive with Ghost v11.5.1 (because the BIOS and Ghost 11.5.1 don't even "see" the drive).

Note: I'm using MS Windows 7 32bit OS, since I don't intend to use the WD 3TB USB HDD drive as primary, but as secondary storage. And once you're inside 32bit Windows, the 3TB drive is perfectly usable.

Primary tests performed on my system seem to prove that even Ghost v15.0 Custom Recovery CD (which I created), recognizes the WD 3TB drive (and it's full 3TB capacity).

So the question is...
Can I use my WD 3TB drive with Ghost v15.0 and it's Recovery CD?
Does Ghost v15.0 support UEFI and/or 3TeraByte drives (or bigger)?

2) Since Ghost 15.0 Recovery Disc seems to use some sort of Windows PE, does that make a system recovery more vulnerable to virus execution? For example is Windows PE capable of executing an already existing virus on the HDD to-be-recovered drive (and therefore infecting the HDD with the intact/clean recovery image)?

3) By using the Recovery CD, if I restore a clean image to an infected destination drive, will the infected destination drive be overwritten and therefore cleaned?

Thank you
Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Re: Ghost 15 - More questions

I've responded to a couple of your questions in red. Hopefully someone will come along and answer the rest.

2) Since Ghost 15.0 Recovery Disc seems to use some sort of Windows PE, does that make a system recovery more vulnerable to virus execution? For example is Windows PE capable of executing an already existing virus on the HDD to-be-recovered drive (and therefore infecting the HDD with the intact/clean recovery image)?
The Ghost 15 Recovery environment is based on Windows PE 2.1 (Vista). The file on the disc that is expanded into RAM is \sources\boot.wim. Since this is read-only, I do not see how a virus could get into it. The only way the virus would execute would be if you deliberately did it. There's a good chance it wouldn't even work in a PE environment since the active Windows drive is X: instead of C:. When you recover an image, it could be possible that the virus is left on certain sectors of the drive that are not overwritten, but I don't think it would matter. If you were really concerned, you could zero fill the drive before restoring an image to it. You can even use DISKPART to do this from the command prompt. The command after you select the drive is CLEAN ALL. This wipes every sector on the selected drive clean. Be very careful using DISKPART as it does exactly what you tell it to do without asking if you are sure! On the other hand, if your image has a virus, it will also be recovered too.
3) By using the Recovery CD, if I restore a clean image to an infected destination drive, will the infected destination drive be overwritten and therefore cleaned?
See above.
Thank you

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

USB devices are not really supported by a systems BIOS.   The BIOS allows basic access to the device but in no way does it support it like a hard drive.   Think of it more like a Serial port or LPT port, the support your motherboard gives it is as it would a peripheral device, like a mouse or keyboard.  The BIOS does not give it full hard drive support and is unable to provide any sort of drive translation or correct geometry as it does a hard drive.

So USB is basically software driven through drivers, a BIOS only "opens" the port and allows basic access.

You can see how that works since your using a 32bit OS and a "normal" BIOS, the drive still works fine in windows.

I have no idea why your BIOS doesn't list it as a bootable choice, it could be one of several reasons most likely size.

Same reason why the DOS version of Ghost.exe might have trouble with it.

But the Ghost recovery disk is Vista PE 32bit, it's going to work as well as your windows 7 32bit operating system and if you have no trouble with the drive in wondows you will have no trouble with it in the recovery console.

For the second part of your question:

"Does Ghost v15.0 support UEFI and/or 3TeraByte drives (or bigger)?"

I'm not really sure if I understand that, I don't see how EFI would matter at that point.

The recovery disk boots as a CD and by the time Ghost is loaded it is well past the BIOS stage.  I would assume any type of EFI BIOS would have to provide support for booting a CD?

And as I already mentioned, the recovery disk is VistaPE, once it is loaded any drive size limitations would be Windows 32bit limitations and nothing to do with Ghost.   If Windows "sees" it Ghost will be able to as well.

Dave

Visitor
Binary-Synapse

Hello.

OK redk and Dave.
Perfectly understood.
Thank you for your detailed answers.

Kind Regards