Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
boolean
Accepted Solution

Ghost 15 and USB 3.0

I need confirmation that USB 3.0 is not supported via the recovery disk, but is supported when using Ghost in normal Windows 7 operating system operation.

dickevans

Re: Ghost 15 and USB 3.0

boolean wrote:

I need confirmation that USB 3.0 is not supported via the recovery disk, but is supported when using Ghost in normal Windows 7 operating system operation.

Hi,

Sorry, last word I read was that USB 3.x wasn't supported by the current version of Ghost. Maybe with the next one. If we're really lucky it will be in the next service pack :smileywink:

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Contributor
boolean

Not even supported when used within Windows 7 to copy recovery points to an external drive plugged through a USB 3.0 port?  I can't believe it!  That's dam stupid.  It works via my eSATA port so I don't understand why it won't work via a USB 3.0 port.

dickevans

boolean wrote:

Not even supported when used within Windows 7 to copy recovery points to an external drive plugged through a USB 3.0 port?  I can't believe it!  That's dam stupid.  It works via my eSATA port so I don't understand why it won't work via a USB 3.0 port.

Perhaps it's because the product is over a year old and the technology wasn't around. As I said above, the next service or the next version should have support.

Sorry

Dick
Contributor
boolean

Have you actually tried it?  I don't understand why it wouldn't work since an external hard drive connected via USB 3.0 should just look like any other hard drive to the operating system hence any application.

dickevans

boolean wrote:

Have you actually tried it?  I don't understand why it wouldn't work since an external hard drive connected via USB 3.0 should just look like any other hard drive to the operating system hence any application.

Can't try it I don't have a USB3 port or a USB 3 drive.

Would have to buy a card that supports it and then the drive and then I could test it. Maybe one of the other users here can comment.

Dick
Contributor
boolean

dickevans wrote:

Would have to buy a card that supports it and then the drive and then I could test it. Maybe one of the other users here can comment.

That's why I've asked as I would like to buy a USB 3.0 card and appropriate external drive.  If it doesn't work then there's no point doing so.  I hope someone has tried this and can report back here.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I don't have a USB3 device but I have never seen a report here that one did not work with ghost in windows.

The only problems I have seen is that the recovery disk can't access them through USB3 but it works fine when plugged into a USB2 port.

That actually has nothing to do with Ghost, it's because the windows PE that the recovery disk uses does not support USB3 and drivers have not become standardized yet.

Early 2012 is when Intel will come out with a CPU with USB3 support, it won't be until then that motherboards, BIOS's, and drivers start becoming standardized.

Dave

Contributor
boolean

DaveH wrote:

I don't have a USB3 device but I have never seen a report here that one did not work with ghost in windows.

The only problems I have seen is that the recovery disk can't access them through USB3 but it works fine when plugged into a USB2 port.

That actually has nothing to do with Ghost, it's because the windows PE that the recovery disk uses does not support USB3 and drivers have not become standardized yet.

Early 2012 is when Intel will come out with a CPU with USB3 support, it won't be until then that motherboards, BIOS's, and drivers start becoming standardized.

This is confusing.  You say the only problem is the recovery disk can't access them through USB 3.0.  That I already know.  I'm referring to the situation when the PC is booted normally in Windows 7 and there's an external hard drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port and the drive is visible to the operating system like any other hard drive, be it via SCSI, IDE, SATA, eSATA, etc.  Of course, when it's necessary to perform a recovery using the recovery disk, the same drive would have to be plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Symantec Employee
andreash_utah

Backing up to a USB 3.0 port should not be a problem. As long as Windows / Disk Manager can see it, we should be able to back up to it. In fact, USB 3.0 backups will be significantly faster than USB 2.0.

As for the recovery disk, like Disk and Dave mentioned, WinPE only supports up to USB 2.0. Most USB 3.0 drives are USB 2.0 backwards compatible for this reason. You'll want to test this yourself. If your USB 3.0 device is plugged into an add-on card you added to the system, you will likely need to obtain the drivers for that card and load them manually from within the recovery environment.

-Andy