Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
wpa3

Ghost 15 does not allow me to backup a network drive to a connected USB drive

I have Norton Ghost 15 on my computers. I recently bought a Western Digital MyBook World that connects as a network drive to my router. When I tried to backup the MyBook, Ghost 15 said it did not recognize drive "S".

I suppose I could do a straight copy from the network drive to the USB drive. But shouldn't Ghost be able to do that automatically so I can get incremental changes?

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

Re: Ghost 15 does not allow me to backup a network drive to a connected USB drive

Have you mapped the network drive so that Ghost can "see" it?

Deric

Super Contributor
philipm785

Re: Ghost 15 does not allow me to backup a network drive to a connected USB drive

I assume you're using the "Backup My Computer" option to try to image the network drive? If so, this won't work with Ghost. The reason is that Ghost backs up drives by taking an "image" of the entire disk sector by sector. This requires low level access to the drive. Most network drives will provide filesystem level access, but the actual processing of disk sector layout, etc. is handled by the disk controller in the network drive unit.

If the drive you're trying to copy is just data, a regular file copy should work just fine. If you need to regularly back up those files, a regular file backup program, or even something like Microsoft's free Robocopy, should do the trick. Robocopy will even synchronize files and run in the background if you set it up correctly.

Hope this helps!

Visitor
wpa3

Yes, Ghost 15 can see the drive but then tells me it won't allow it.

Visitor
wpa3

I found that Microsoft has a tool called SyncToy that synchronizes and copies.

I'll also try Robocopy.

Yours,

Bill

Super Contributor
philipm785

Thanks for the tip on Synctoy - looks interesting.

Visitor
wpa3

Thanks for the help! I'll get Robocopy from MSFT.