Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Re: Ghost 15 on Windows 7 to clone and replace Boot Drive

Look at your backup drive. What .v2i files do you have?

Contributor
awoodby

Unfortunately I'm at work, that computer's at home, I'll have to get back to you later on with that. 

Basically I'm just starting all this over.  So I'd LIKE to give the "clone disk" method a try, hrm, maybe not actually, in general I will more need the restore method (I'm MORE concerned with recovery from a sudden failure)

so nevermind on "clone disk"

I'll get back to you later on with the v2i filenames.  I DO know that prior to last night, I was just backing up the C partition (use of the word "disk" had me thinking it was the disk, not a partition oops)  And when I did the manual backup, it DID pop up requesting a filename for the v2i, i selected the default and overwrote...twice... so it's completely possibly in my rush to get to bed I may have overwritten my backups or something.

In short I'll look up the v2i's and go more deliberately when making the backup of the SRP and C: partitions.

Still learning windows7, had xp down pretty well, but by trade am a *nix admin.  So long as I keep patient, this is an interesting learning experience.  And worst happens (drive fails fully), I should be able to reinstall win7 and still restore to one of the C backups I've been making weekly, yes?  (though I'm still going to stick with this restore stuff until that happens)

thanks!

Contributor
awoodby

Wow, pictures hadn't loaded before when I read your post before, just saw the full thing, you're awesome.  I'll follow your instructions to the T.

Contributor
awoodby

OK, worked on this a bit more over the weekend, the original boot drive is now nonfunctional so it's disconnected, the replacement drive is in system, and I have my "Norton Backups" folder on my F drive.

Boot to Norton Ghost 15 disk (cd) and select to restore system to a point where it worked.  I see what I'd done wrong last time, somehow missed the "ADD" button and hadn't restored the two partitions, rectify that this time.  MISS only setting the system reserved partition active so get no bootable os, guess correctly what I'd done wrong...

Reboot to cd, use the utilities to edit partitions and set the System Reserved Partition (SRP) to be the one booted.

Restart.  NOW, it gets to "Starting Windows" and just sits there forever with the 4color windows logo on screen and nothing further.

Hate to bother you more... but any ideas now?  Boot to Windows7 dvd and try a repair?

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Did you set the check marks like this POST suggests...

Restore to a new HD if a SRP is present

For the SRP

Verify recovery point before restore
Partition type : Primary
Check for file system errors after recovery
Set drive active (for booting OS)
Restore original disk signature
Restore master boot record

For Win7

Verify recovery point before restore
Resize drive after recover (unallocated space only) (ONLY if you want to)
Partition type : Primary
Check for file system errors after recovery

SRP

I don't see why it would hurt to boot from the Windows 7 disc and try a startup repair but I think it the problem has something to do with one of your restore settings.

Contributor
awoodby

Yes, those are the settings I used during restore.  I can try another restore tonight just to be sure though, I think I'll try the Windows7 disk boot repair first, just in case.

Any other things to add to the evening's attack plan? :)

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

awoodby

Restart.  NOW, it gets to "Starting Windows" and just sits there forever with the 4color windows logo on screen and nothing further.

awoodby,

I've seen that too and I can't recall what caused it. I certainly couldn't fix it and I suggest you restore the images again. Delete all partitions from the new HD before you start,

Contributor
awoodby

Don't even bother having windows7 disk try and fix the startup you're saying?

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

By all means try it. But it didn't work for me.

In the first link Red posted you will see Teddy12 had this problem and it looks like the Win7 disk did help.

Contributor
awoodby

Well!  ALL BETTER!

So windows7 disk startup recovery did nothing, the error as shown trying to boot safe mode was with the upnp.sys driver.

I did another restore, and with little optimism, booted it late last night, and it came up juuuust fine!

I will reboot it a couple of times tonight just for confidence's sake, then return and post my thank you's and final info.  Thank you a ton for all the help!  Not that a reinstall of windows is the end of the world, but it's certainly nice to not have to take the 2 weeks to reinstall alllll my applications!

--alex