Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
ldvs

Re: Ghost 2003 recovery problem

The only other computer I can boot the CD on is the computer I am using right now. If it works on this computer, would that indicate there is a hardware problem with the other one?

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

We would know the CD is good.  If it works on one system and not the other it would have to be a hardware incompatibility.

Not sure what else it could be if the CD is good.

Dave

Contributor
ldvs

Ok, I'll try that. That will take a little time. Thanks for all you help, Dave.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

ldvs wrote:

Am now attempting to restore using Ghost 9.0 disk. After clicking "Restore Legacy Ghost Image" I received the message "CD/DVD writing functionality is currently unavailable. Please see the Symantec Ghost Reference Guide to enable it."

It's normal. Everyone sees that. What happens when you click Local, Partition, From Image?

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

[ Edited ]

I just booted my Ghost  CD. I went to the Recover tab > Recover using a legacy Ghost image. It comes up with the message "CD/DVD writing functionality is currently unavailable...". I can the click Local Disk > from image or Local Disk > from image. I can then browse for the GHO file.

Does the Ghost 9 / 10 disc support SATA? I think I've asked before, but have never needed to use it and cannot remember the answer. I think it does, but not in AHCI mode.

EDIT: I just confirmed you must run in IDE mode, not AHCI mode. AHCI mode produces a blue screen on startup. I was able to browse my SATA drives with my Ghost 10  SRD. I did not have an old enough GHO file to verify though.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

You guys are right, sorry idvs, I never read that box.   I actually had no idea thats what it said, I'm used to just clicking OK and thought it was just the legal notice.

Dave

Contributor
ldvs

I tried the CD on this computer and got the same messages CD is now back in the computer I want to restore. I have clicked

Local Disk > from image or Local Disk > from image. Where am I likely to find the GHO file?

Contributor
ldvs

OK, I found the GHO file, now what do I do?

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

redk9258 wrote:

Does the Ghost 9 / 10 disc support SATA? I think I've asked before, but have never needed to use it and cannot remember the answer. I think it does, but not in AHCI mode.

Red,

It's not easy to add the drivers to the CD.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1113183318#1

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?;num=1144094456#2

But you can load AHCI drivers from a floppy.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

redk9258 wrote: 

EDIT: I just confirmed you must run in IDE mode, not AHCI mode. AHCI mode produces a blue screen on startup. I was able to browse my SATA drives with my Ghost 10  SRD. I did not have an old enough GHO file to verify though.

I would have thought you could boot the recovery disk but you just wouldn't be able to access any of the drives.

But with the Ghost 9 disk you can hit <F6> when it's loading and install drivers from a floppy.

When Ghost 9 came out, you had to use a floppy to install XP onto a SATA drive anyway so most people who did would know about the floppy routine.

I'm not sure if Ghost32 needs driver support, the DOS versions of ghost doesn't need drivers for NTFS or most SATA drives and ghost32 really is just the DOS version with a 32bit wrapper.

Dave