Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
erikthepope
Accepted Solution

GoBack partitions...

My computer used to have XP with GoBack. Recently, it started to reboot as soon as the Windows splash screen came up. It turned out my XP install disc was bad so I installed a (legal) Win 7. It worked fine but when I hooked up my storage drives, Win 7 did not have them in Explorer. They did show up in disk management but everything was grayed out except "delete volume" which I obviously didn't want to do. Searching the Norton forums, I uncovered this regarding a bootup CD with a program on it called Ngbboot.iso:

When you restart the computer, you see the following options:  
  • 1. To unhook GoBack (for typical machines)
  • 2. To repair the Master Boot Record (for typical machines)
  • 3. To Load IDE (typical) CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt
  • 4. To Load SCSI CD-ROM Drivers and exit to the command prompt
  Type 1 and then press Enter.

4 The utility removes the changes that GoBack made to the boot sector and the partition table and further troubleshooting can proceed. Is this the problem with these drives? Will this work on Win 7? Thanks for you help!

Erik The Pope

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Re: GoBack partitions...

You say "storage drives" (plural) can you explain how it was setup?

You have one hard drive that used to have XP and now it has windows 7 installed.

You also have one or more seperate hard drives that were being protected by Goback?

Dave

Visitor
erikthepope

The drives are a Seagate (1 TB) & a Maxtor (300 GB). The drive that Win 7 is on is not the one that XP was on. The XP drive won't boot which was the problem that started this whole mess. I am trying to make these drives work with Win 7 without GoBack, a product no longer made or supported. Thanks.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

OK, I think I understand.   The drive you can't access is the one that had XP installed on it.  That makes more sense to me because I didn't think a seperate data drive could be protected by GoBack.

The ISO file you have is a bootable CD image, burn that to a disk.  The tool on it to remove cannot be run in Windows.

Turn off your system, unplug the data cables from both hard drives.  Use the data cable that was connected to the windows 7 drive and connect that to the hard drive that is protected by Goback.

(You want your system setup so the GoBack drive is on the first drive cable without the windows 7 drive attached at all).

Boot the system with the CD you made and choose option 1.

When it is done, shut down the system. Switch the drive cables back to the way they were and boot back into Windows 7 and see if you can now access the old XP drive.

Dave

Edit- I should have mentioned, when you boot back into Windows 7 you may have to do into disk management and assign drive letters to the partition(s) on the old XP drive.

Visitor
erikthepope

Thanks for your reply. You've got the situation almost right. Both of these drives were just used for document/pix/video storage. There was no Windows on either. Using Partition Wizard told me that they were GoBack partitions. I have already burned the iso to a disk. Win 7 is on a new WD disk, not related to the others at all.

So here's what I am going to do:

Set the machine to boot from the CD

Disconnect all the drives but then connect one of the GoBack drives where the Win 7 installation was

Boot from the CD, choose option 1.

Put everything back the way it was & see if Windows can see the drive.

I know about disk managment & drive letters.

Is this correct?

Thanks, man!

Erik The Pope

Visitor
erikthepope

So I tried this on the Win 7 computer & it didin't boot. Then I tried it on my second computer & it booted right up. I chose 1 & it did it's thing. I put it back in the Win 7 computer & ran Partition Wizard. PW said "other" under partition type. PW also says the partition type is 0x44. Disk management stil has all functions except "delete" grayed out. I also ran "scan for hardware changes" under Windows, which did nothing.

So what do I do now? Rewrite the MBR? I have no clue at this point...

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I don't recall if I ever had to rewrite the MBR.   The Symantec article is confusing in the first place because it really has nothing to do with the MBR.  GoBack changes the partition table not really the MBR.

Let me think about it a while and maybe Brian may see this and he might have some experiance with removing GoBack.

If worse comes to worse, I'm sure I must have the program somewhere around here and I may be able to see if it's just a matter of changing the partition type now.

Dave

Visitor
erikthepope

I checked the partition on the Seagate drive with Partition Wizard & it still said it 0x44 or GoBack so I'm not sure what the program I downloaded did. Are you supposed to do anything after pushing 1 & enter? I'm confused about this...

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

After you push 1 you should get some confirmation about  "are you sure you want to do this"

then if you continue it says something about "unhooking goback" and when it's done I imagine you get some kind of confirmation or error.

It's been a while since I ran into a goback partition but thats how I have done it in the past.

Dave

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I took a XP system with 2 hard drives and installed GoBack and I had no trouble removing it but for some reason the steps are inconsistent.  I have done it 4 times and it's not the exact steps each time but I have been able to remove it each time and access the data without loosing anything.

First I booted to the Ngbboot.iso and choose 1, then I push enter to confirm.

At that point for some reason I don't get a confirmation but I wait a few minutes for good measure.

Then I reboot to the disk and run option 2 to repair the MBR but I have a feeling that doesn't do anything.

Then I use a BootitNG boot disk and change the partition type to 07 NTFS.

This is where I get inconsistant results.  Sometimes I am able to change the partition type and the drive is back to normal.

But half the time I boot to the BootitNG disk and it gives me a warning that GoBack is installed still.

At that point I boot to the Ngbboot.iso and run options 1 and 2 again and sometimes I'm able to then boot to the other disk without a warning and sometimes I have to boot to a DOS CD and do a:  fdisk /mbr

Then I am able to boot to the BootitNG disk and change the partition type without any warnings about GoBack.

Thats why I said above that I don't think option 2 does anything because I usually have to do it again with a windows 98 boot CD.

This post by Brian here shows you how to make the BootitBM CD and also has a link to a bootable windows 98 DOS CD.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-Ghost-15-Cannot-see-new-disk-when-copyin...

When you use Bootit BM, if you followed his instructions you boot into the "partition work" screen.

On the left side select the hard drive, it should be HD0 if it is the only one installed.  Then click "properties" and in the drop-down box change the partition type from GoBack to 07 NTFS.

After you do that you should be able to connect it back as slave to the Windows 7 drive and access all the data.

You will find a rather large .dat file on the root of the drive that you can now delete.  I can't remember the exact name, I think it was something like gback.dat

Dave