Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
jlua001
Accepted Solution

Huge incrementals with Ghost 15

After I updated to Ghost 15.1.0.36526, I am getting huge incrementals, to the point that they are sometimes even larger than the last full, even with little change happening between backups, which doesn´t make any sense.  I didnt use to see this behavior with Ghost 12, which was my previous version.  All along I have been using Diskeeper with the VSS-special setting set, to avoid any excessive unnecessary incrementals, and I had the same thing running also with Ghost 12, and I didn´t have this problem.  Now, my backup disk gets full after 3-4 backups, and have to delete everything to be able to do one more backup.

My schedule is one monthly full, and two weekly incrementals.  I wished I could do daily incrementals, but it is impossible with this problem.  In fact, now I can never get to the end of the month without deleting everything on the disk because of the huge incrementals.

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: Huge incrementals with Ghost 15

jlua001,

That is interesting. Can you do screenshots of your Diskeeper graphic every day between the full backup and the next incremental. Maybe try daily incrementals over the next few days? I think you will find that there will be marked changes over the period. Let's discuss the situation after the next incremental. Can you post a screenshot of the Diskeeper graphic before the base image and before the incremental image?

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

jlua001,

Do you have any feedback for us?

Contributor
jlua001

I finally got to do the test over the course of four days: 1 base + 3 daily incrementals.  I took the snapshot of the disk file structure from Diskeeper right before each daily backup. 

I specifically was very careful not to do anything on this computer other than just checking email and use the browser.  I did absolutely nothing else.  The base was 246GB, and the three daily incrementals were:   79GB., 63GB., and 49GB, ranging between 20%-32% of the base.  The incrementals were smaller than the ones I see when I do them twice a week, when they can be at times close to the size of the base, thereby the problem.   Now, they are arguably still excessively large, considering that –as I said- I didn´t do anything other than checking email and browse the Internet during this test.

I tried enclosing the .jpg snapshots as attachments to this message, but I am getting an error.  Apparently, on this Forum, attachments can only be txt, log, or lue file types.  How do I post the jpg snapshots?

Administrator
Venkat_J

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I tried enclosing the .jpg snapshots as attachments to this message, but I am getting an error.  Apparently, on this Forum, attachments can only be txt, log, or lue file types.  How do I post the jpg snapshots?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can use the insert/edit image option in the editor to attach a screenshot.

insertimage.JPG

For more information please follow the link below.

http://community.norton.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

Let us know if you need further assistance.

-Venkat

Venkat Jammalamadugu
Norton Forums Administrator
Consumer Products and Solutions
Symantec Corporation

Contributor
jlua001

Here are the screenshots of the file structure before each daily backup:

Before Base:

Pre_Full_Backup.jpg

Before 1st. daily incremental:

Pre_Incremental_Backup_Day_1.jpg

Before 2nd. day incremental:

Pre_Incremental_Backup_Day_2.jpg

Before 3rd. day Incremental:

Pre_Incremental_Backup_Day_3.jpg

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

jlua001,

Many thanks for your efforts. We'll have to ignore (maybe) the Before Base screenshot as the System Files aren't present but each of the following shots are different (sectors moved) when they should be almost identical. As I mentioned earlier, this happened to me and it was due to Diskeeper.

Could you try this? Defrag with Diskeeper. Uninstall Diskeeper. Do daily incrementals for a few days and let us know the results.

In addition, the System Files shouldn't be all over the place like this. They should be in 2 or 3 blocks. Can you do an offline defrag with Diskeeper before you uninstall? In the Diskeeper report, does it mention a fragmented pagefile? Actually, there are far too many System Files in the graphics after the Before Base one. Something terrible is happening. Did you notice your Used Space in the C: drive was increasing.

SendOfJive
Kudos: 4,846
Solutions: 779

I am not familiar with Diskeeper, but defragmenting a drive will result in extremely large incremental backups with just about any imaging program.  I have encountered this using other programs and have seen documentation on the issue.  I think Brian_K is spot on.  If Diskeeper is continually moving files around, each incremental backup image is going to be sufficiently different from the previous one to require a large file size.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

SendOfJive,

Something weird is happening here. jlua001 has been deliberately not defragging since prior to the base image. Actually the screenshot Before Base is probably the only good one. The others show progressively increasing System Files that should not be present. They are accounting for the large incremental images.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

jlua001,

Any news for us?