Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
eric3312
Accepted Solution

Important Questions

1.)  Pc-Mag reviewed this product and claims that a theif can simply uninstall the software from the computer if they have access to an administrator account.  Is this true?  How will Norton keep a theif from simply removing the software from the computer upon retreiving it?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394093,00.asp#fbid=RMtXpdD6xNC

2.)  If a product update is released, how will users obtain it?

Thank you for your time

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (SP1) - Mozilla Firefox 7.x - Norton Internet Security 2012
Norton Anti-Theft 1.0 - Norton Utilities 15 - Norton Online Backup (100 gb)
PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

Re: Important Questions

eric3312 wrote:

1.)  Pc-Mag reviewed this product and claims that a theif can simply uninstall the software from the computer if they have access to an administrator account.  Is this true?  How will Norton keep a theif from simply removing the software from the computer upon retreiving it?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394093,00.asp#fbid=RMtXpdD6xNC

Hi,

this has been discussed during the beta versions. At the moment the program can not be totally hidden away -> by default there's a start menu folder, a desktop icon, and a notification area icon. From these the first two (icons and start menu folders) could be deleted by the user, and a thief probably will not notify it in the notification area or on the install / unisntall list....

Maybe in future versions it will be update to be more hidden.

2.)  If a product update is released, how will users obtain it?

This happens totally automatic during the background. After a patch is released, the product will download the update in the background, and during next reboot it will be updated to the latest version.

Let us know if you have more questions :).

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Symantec Employee
JoeK

There are a couple of other things to take into consideration here:

1) If you have locked the device, the thief should not be able to simply uninstall the product. They will see a lock screen and will not have access to the device.

2) Privacy is important to us and we want to make sure that a legitimate user of a device is aware that we are there. This is a balance we will be continually evaluating. We want to have a solution that a thief cannot circumvent, but we will not take measures that would put customer privacy at risk.

Hope that helps!

- Joe

Regular Contributor
eric3312

So a theif could just do a Ctrl Alt Delete and end the task and all monitoring would be lost? 

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (SP1) - Mozilla Firefox 7.x - Norton Internet Security 2012
Symantec Employee
JoeK

No, when you lock the device from the Norton Anti-Theft Web site, we lock the device and show the Windows lock screen. If you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, you will bring up the Norton Anti-Theft lock screen that shows the message that you chose to send from the Web site. 

- Joe

PapauZ
Topics: 391
Kudos: 1,023
Solutions: 374

JoeK wrote:

No, when you lock the device from the Norton Anti-Theft Web site, we lock the device and show the Windows lock screen. If you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, you will bring up the Norton Anti-Theft lock screen that shows the message that you chose to send from the Web site. 

- Joe

If you lock the device, the thief only has the option to format your drive and (re)install Windows. With this method your data is "protected".... I know it is still a pain but at least you can be sure your data will not be opened.

Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro x64 Hungarian, Norton 360 v21.2.0.38

Regular Contributor
eric3312

What if you cannot get to the website in time and the thief has access to your computer.  Can he simply go to Control Panel/Uninstall Programs and remove Anti-Theft to make sure I can no longer track the device?

That's what I am concerned about...what if the thief sees the little icon in the bottom right toolbar and just removes the program...

is there any circumvention he has to go through?

Thanks for the answers...

By the way..I bought this program and installed it on my 2 laptops, and my desktop...

Super Worm Eliminator
Andmike

If that worries you then why not set up a password on your Windows account?

Regular Contributor
eric3312

Yeah I guess that would make sense..haha...I wonder...would the Norton Anti-Theft lock screen override the Windows lock screen?

Symantec Employee
trijimon_p_r

Hi eric3312,

Norton Anti-Theft lock will not override but will precede windows lock. When a windows password set, a potential thief would have to crack through Norton Anti-Theft lock and windows lock to access the computer.

Hope this answers your question.

-Triji