Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
cjjohnsi83

Issue with Norton Ghost 15.0 and Windows 7 64-bit

Hi - I recently purchased a copy of Norton Ghost 15.0 and then created a brand new Windows 7 64 bit machine from scratch. I installed Win7 from disk, installed all the Dell drivers, and then went to backup my new machine with Norton Ghost. I used this by booting to the Ghost CD  (that I created from the .iso) and selecting the "Backup My Computer" option. At this screen I noticed it wanted to backup the C Drive (what I want) and the "System Reserved" on disk E:/

Should I include this in my backup?

In testing, I went ahead and selected both the C drive and the System Reserved. Now, when I boot to disk and try to apply this image to a new system I am having some issues.

1) I use the "Recover My Computer" option after booting to CD

2) I browse to the .v2i file located on an external hard drive (where I backed up the machine to)

3) Select the Local Disk_C_Drive.v2i file (also see the System_Reserved_E_Drive.v2i file here)

4) Run the Initialize Disk Partition Structures on the disk

5) At the Drives to Recover window, I click "Edit" and then the volume label says "No Label" and the "Restore Master boot record" is greyed out

Why is that option greyed out? The way we used to perform images with XP, we would always check the following 3 boxes in this window

- Set drive active

- Restore master boot record

Visitor
cjjohnsi83

Re: Issue with Norton Ghost 15.0 and Windows 7 64-bit

After applying the .v2i file now, the machine says "BOOTMGR is missing". Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

Hi cjjohnsi83,

When you recover 2 partitions or more you will need to do it separately if you are transferring to another drive to fit in the same machine. Have a read of  This Post  for the way to do it.

Deric

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

cjjohnsi83 wrote:

Now, when I boot to disk and try to apply this image to a new system I am having some issues.

cjjohnsi83,

I'm confused. Are you trying to restore the image to the same or different hardware?

Visitor
cjjohnsi83

To the same hardware. It's a Dell Latitude E6420 that I made the image of and now trying to apply it to another E6420

Visitor
cjjohnsi83

Deric - Thanks for the quick response. I followed these directions exactly and everyone worked great except for one thing. When I click the "Edit" button the option for "Restore Master boot record" is still greyed out :(

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K
Super Spam Squasher
DStain

cjjohnsi83 wrote:

Deric - Thanks for the quick response. I followed these directions exactly and everyone worked great except for one thing. When I click the "Edit" button the option for "Restore Master boot record" is still greyed out :(

Start again from scratch,

prepare the target drive as explained and verify the .v2i file to make sure it is a valid backup.

You can open the recovery point browser to verify the files.

If you tab down on that post you will see how to do the edit function from Red's post below.

I must stress that you can't miss out a step, a single drive is easy, multiple drives need a change of instructions depending if like mine you have a simple 4 partition setup or the slightly more complicated setup like a Dell with the SRP and the Recovery partition.

The users that have followed that post have, after a bit of practice, cracked it.

Deric

Visitor
cjjohnsi83

Awesome, I will follow those steps exactly as posted and start from scratch again. I'll post back with my results.

Thanks Deric!

Visitor
cjjohnsi83

I've decided that Acronis Snap Deploy 4 is a better solution for my company's needs. This imaging software is much more intuitive without all the crazy "Edit" options. I will move forward with that solution. Thanks for everyone's input.