Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
toyboy1
Accepted Solution

NU 16 install file crashes - Win XP

I purchased Norton Utilities 16 today.  I've downloaded the installation file, but it crashes immediately.  I've tried several different downloads...via the initial purchase screen, via my Norton Account window, and via a help window.  They all behave the same way.  I do note that all of them are downloading via Norton Download Manager...which was installed on my first attempt.

The error box says: "Norton Utilities has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  See the attached MS Word document for a screen shot.

Downloaded file is: nu16.0.0.126-SMUI.exe

I am running NIS 20.2.0.19 (and have not shut it down).

I have Norton Utilities 14.5.0.120 installed.  After the first failed install attempt, I did try to install with NU shut down.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Model Dimension XPS; Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3391 Mhz

Available Physical Memory 2.15 GB

I hope I've given you all the information you need.

Regards, Bob

Norton Fighter
Krusty13

Re: NU 16 install file crashes - Win XP

I think you need to uninstall NU14 before installing NU16.

W W W  =  Wild Wild West.    Be careful out there!

Symantec Employee
Skreddy

I would do as Krusty suggested. Make sure after you uninstall, restart your PC. If that doesnt work, let me know and i can make another suggestion.

Regards,

Skreddy

Visitor
toyboy1

Well, I have now uninstalled NU 14 and I'm not getting any further.  Between the time that I first tried to install NU 16 and now, if I restart my PC, I'm getting an NU 16 install window shortly after reboot that immediately crashes.  After shutting that down, if I try to install from the downloaded file, again it crashes.

Dr Watson reports the following in my Application log file:

The application, C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\My Downloads\Norton\Norton Utilities\nu16.0.0.126-SMUI.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 12/28/2012 @ 15:17:37.250 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00000000 (<nosymbols>)

I'm lost.  Something also seems to be happening with my NIS program.  I've had to re-register it a couple of times at reboot.

Might I have traces of something from Norton that I still don't want.  I think I remember a utility that Norton had that went through all of the Norton files and removed traces of past products.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was called nor where to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Visitor
toyboy1

Update...it just occurred to me that NIS has a start-up manager.  I poked around with it and, sure enough, there was a Norton Utilities entry listed.  The screen shot in the attached file shows you the File Insight info from NIS.  So it looks like:

NU 16 didn't like that I had NU 14 installed and crashed.  Now that I've uninstalled NU 14, I still have traces of NU 16 left over from the aborted initial installation.  Those are probably what's now causing me issues.

For now I've used the NIS start-up manager to stop the NU 16 install program from trying to run at start-up.  I definitely do need help with, at least, getting rid of the corrupt install command.

Thanks!

Visitor
toyboy1

Tonight I tried downloading and running the Norton Remove and Reinstall utility.  No joy.  It did remove and reinstall my NIS program, but NU 16 is still showing up in my NIS start-up programs and it still crashes if I try to let it run during start-up.  :smileymad:

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

In your first screenshot I see folders for Norton Antivirus as well as Norton Internet Security,

I also see a folder for System Works as well as Norton Utilities.

Can you tell us if you have all these products currently installed?

Dave

Visitor
toyboy1

I am using the current version of NIS (Norton Internet Security).  I purchased NU (Norton Utilities) 16 as an upgrade to my existing NU 14.  Both NU 14 and NIS were installed when I tried to install NU 16 for the first time.  I have subsequently uninstalled NU 14.  I believe it was successful as it is not listed as a start-up program in NIS.

I have run all kinds of Norton products during the course of owning this PC.  However, none of those other products should be currently installed.

Thanks for your help.

Symantec Employee
Skreddy

Hey Toy boy,

Can you try the alternative installation file. Instructions below

1. Start > Run

2. Type '%temp%' hit enter

3. Navigate to PC Tools Download manager folder

4. Locate and run the file 'install.exe'

See if this will work

Skreddy

Visitor
toyboy1

Yea!!! That pretty much did it.  Note that the install file was not at "PC Tools Download Manager" for me.  I found it under "Symantec Download Manager."  I ran that and it installed OK.

There is, however, still a Norton Utilities item listed in NIS trying to do the install (see my screenshot from Dec 28th).  I'm sure this is just a line item in a start-up file or a registry line item that can be deleted.  Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks Skreddy.

Bob