Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
pcgumshoe

Norton Ghost 15, Windows 7 Need Simple Clone Solution

I'm very upset that this hasn't worked the way it was portrayed to me before I purchased this product, and here's how I thought it would work.

I purchased three identical PCs and assembled them.  I purchased sufficient licensing for my OS and specialty software that I will be using in a commercial environment.  I assembled three computers and installed all my software and data onto one PC.  I installed Norton Ghost and attempted to clone/copy the HDD with all the settings set the way I want them.

When I install the HDDs in place of the master, the system won't boot.

I've read all the posts about this and there are lots of "work arounds" that involve doing something with BCD, or another program or using the Windows Recovery console, this however isn't what I wanted.

Next I'm told to do a back up, but even this doesn't work.

Can somebody, in fewer words than above, explain how to use Norton Ghost 15 to accomplish what I want?  I have a general idea based on all the posts, however, there are pieces missing...  I know I don't need to have the SRP, but I want them to all be identical in every way.  One of the PCs will be sitting as a back up.

Thank you for your time and for NOT linking me to other posts that just ramble on and link to other posts where no concrete solution is posted unless you've read the many linked other posts.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: Norton Ghost 15, Windows 7 Need Simple Clone Solution

[ Edited ]

pcgumshoe,

Let's take it slowly. Does the old HD still boot? Does the new HD boot now?

Do you have a SRP on the old HD?

When you did Copy Drive was the new HD mounted internally?

Was the new HD partitioned prior to using Copy Drive? Or was it Unallocated Space?

Visitor
pcgumshoe

I'll reply, probably repeating what I already stated in another way:

3 BRAND NEW SYSTEMS, all identical.  3 Brand New HDDs, all Identical.

One system was completed with the HDD installed and the OS, Software and Data all set up the way I want it. 

Now where I thought you'd fill in the gaps:

I installed one of the HDDs from the other systems, it wasn't recognized, so I formatted it. 

Both HDDs work, Both are NEW, one has the OS freshly installed WITH the additional 100 MB partition.

The FIRST HDD (not OLD) still Boots.

Sorry for my impatience, but I see these threads go on and on asking these basic questions that I would think could be inferred from what I typed.

Again, I Bought 3 computers NEW this last week.  I bought the necessary licensing for the software to be installed.  All systems are identical.  I wanted to use GHOST to CLONE the drives as I want all three computers to act the same way out the gate, settings, file locations, everything. 

After these computers are done, there will be NO UPDATING, NO FURTHER BACKING UP,  JUST RUN IN ENVIRONMENT WHERE PLACED.  One the the PCs is a "BACK UP" in case one of the other two fail, so they all have to have the same DATA, SOFTWARE, HARDWARE.  All this is included in OP.

I'm frustrated because it doesn't work as advertised, and nobody has posted a resolution that doesn't involve other software... 

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

I can understand your frustration. But what you have done so far is guaranteed to result in a non boot of the target HD. I assume you created a partition on the Target HD and formatted the partition. Can't do that I'm afraid.

Sorry, my terminology for source HD is "old HD" and for target HD is "new HD". I've used those terms for ages.

I'm not sure whether you want me to help or are just venting your disappointment.

When you did Copy Drive was the new (Target HD) HD mounted internally or was it in a USB enclosure?

Visitor
pcgumshoe

The HDDs are SATA, the drive was temporarily installed in one of the free SATA ports.

The drive was NOT recognized in Norton UNTIL I formatted it as one large partition.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

pcgumshoe,

Sometime in the next month there will be an update to Ghost 15 to fix the problem with Copy Drive. But we can work around the problem and make both HDs boot. The Source and the Target HD. The easy way is to remove the SRP from the HD and then do Copy Drive. If you don't intend to use BitLocker I recommend this method. Which method would you like me to describe? The easy or the more involved method?

Visitor
pcgumshoe

I understand from the reading that I don't need the 100 MB Partition.

What I want is the SIMPLE CLONE SOLUTION using Ghost.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

I'll make it simple for you. Let's get rid of the SRP.

First, we have to unhide the SRP.

In Disk Management, right click the SRP, click Change Drive Letter and Paths..., click Add, dot in Assign the following drive letter, click the drop down arrow and select P ,  click OK.

Start an Administrator mode Command Prompt. To do this, click on the Start button, then All Programs, then Accessories. Right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu. If a UAC prompt is displayed, click the Yes button.

Unload the BCD registry hive by running the following command:
reg  unload  HKLM\BCD00000000

Copy the bootmgr file from the SRP to the Windows 7 partition.  Run the following command:
robocopy  p:\  c:\  bootmgr

Copy the Boot folder from the SRP to the Windows 7 partition. Run the following command:
robocopy  p:\Boot  C:\Boot  /s

The booting files have now been copied. If you wish to verify that they were copied correctly, run the following command:
dir  c:\  /ah

If the bootmgr file and the Boot folder show up in the list, the procedure was successful.

In Disk Management, right click the SRP, click Change Drive Letter and Paths..., click Remove, Yes. This hides the SRP again.
In Disk Management, right click the C: drive, click Mark Partition as Active, Yes.

Restart the computer with a BING CD in the drive.
In BING (Partition Work), delete the SRP.
In BING, do a BCD Edit on Win7.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=318

reboot

To prepare a BING CD.....

Download BootIt NG. There is a one month trial usage. Unzip the file and make a boot CD.

double click makedisk.exe, next
 dot in I accept the agreement, next
 no tick for Registration, next
 dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
 dot in VESA Video, next
 dot in Partition Work (Don't put a dot in Normal), next
 don't choose any Default Device Options (if necessary, these can be chosen in BING), next
 leave Registration strings blank, next
 select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
 Finish

Now that your Win7 is booting in the absence of a SRP, edit the BCD as outlined here...

Start an Administrator mode Command Prompt. To do this, click on the Start button, then All Programs, then Accessories. Right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu. If a UAC prompt is displayed, click the Yes button. Enter these lines...

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot       (and press ENTER)
bcdedit /set {default} device boot          (and press ENTER)
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot      (and press ENTER)
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device boot      (and press ENTER)

Let me know when you have finished these edits as you will be ready for Ghost.

Visitor
pcgumshoe

Thank you, but that isn't simple.

I Have NO idea what  BING cd is, I paid for a piece of software that should automate all this, and THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO DO?  ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Plus I have to modify my installation.

Is there another piece of software that will do this, this is rediculous.

Thank you for the detailed explaination, maybe somebody will do this, but I don't see this as convenient, it would be easier to do three installs....

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

As I suspected, you really want to vent.