Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
darrinps

Norton Ghost 15 caused BOOTMGR is missing

I added a solid state drive last night. I then used Norton Ghost 15 to copy my old drive to my new one. I started the copy process and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning the PC was off. I unplugged the old hard drive and turned the PC on. I then saw the BOOTMGR is missing message.

I then connected back my old drive and tried again.

Same thing.

Then I set my BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM and tried again.

Same thing.

I hit F12 on boot to get into the boot sequence and saw that HDD was still selected. I changed that and tried to reboot.

Same thing.

I went back into the BIOS and verified that boot from CD-ROM was still selected as the boot device and it was, so I tried to boot again.

Same thing.

I then unplugged the HDD and the SDD leaving just the CD-ROM attached and now it boots but of course this doesn't help me as I need a HDD or preferably, the new SDD.

So I am stuck. How can I get the BOOTMGR installed when I cannot boot with any HDD or SDD installed?

THANKS!

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

Re: Norton Ghost 15 caused BOOTMGR is missing

Hi darrinps,

Did you do a "Drive to Drive" or "Image-restore" to copy the HDD and have you ran a backup of the pc creating a restore point and the .v2i files.

There are to methods to copy your drive and we need to know which method you used.

If you have backed up your pc we should be able to help you out.

Deric

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

darrinps,

Can you remove the SSD, boot from the old HD and create a screenshot of Disk Management. That will help us decide what to do next.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/25...

Edit... What brand is the computer? Desktop or laptop?

Super Spam Squasher
DStain

The way I read it,  darrinps can't boot up with the old HDD or the SSD but can boot with the CD-ROM.

Like Brian said, put the old HDD back in the pc and then boot up with the SRD or Installation CD and when you reach the recovery screen click on "Analyze" then "Explore My Computer" select the HDD and double click it and let us know what you see on the drive.

Deric

Visitor
darrinps

It can't even boot using just the old drive and the CD-ROM even selecting the CD-ROM as the first boot drive now. It acts like it doesn't even try to read from the DVD/CD!  When I hit F12 (boot order) it shows that HDD is selected. I select CDROM and retry but it reverts right back when I go in and look at it again. The BIOS however shows that CDROM is to be the first boot drive.

Not sure what happened. The copy process was working just great then I went to bed and woke up with the PC turned off and now it will not boot if I have either the SSD or the HDD installed.  The only way it will boot is when the DVD/CD-ROM is the only drive in the list.

I am creating a repair disk using a USB drive now (http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-repair-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-repair-without-installation-... and will see if that can help.

I also purchased a new motherboard in case there is some incompatability issue but I will wait on installing it.

Visitor
darrinps

I wish I could do that...I tried! See my message just prior to this one.

This is a desktop PC with a Gigabyte motherboard. I just purchased an Asus M5A99X EVO in case all else fails. If it does, then I will rebuild the system tonight installing just the DVD/CD and the SDD and install everything from scratch.  I am wondering if somehow something got tweaked on the motherboard when it powered off (note that I did not request that Norton Ghost do that, but perhaps something happened to force it to happen).

Visitor
darrinps

DStain wrote:

The way I read it,  darrinps can't boot up with the old HDD or the SSD but can boot with the CD-ROM.

Like Brian said, put the old HDD back in the pc and then boot up with the SRD or Installation CD and when you reach the recovery screen click on "Analyze" then "Explore My Computer" select the HDD and double click it and let us know what you see on the drive.

Deric

There is no way for me to do that as it will not get to the recovery screen.

If I have anything other than the DVD/CD hooked up, it gives me the BOOTMGR is missing message and will not continue (says to do a ctrl alt delete).

So, putting the old HDD back in the pc and booting up with the installation CD cannot be done!

I will try booting from the Windows Recovery Disk I put on a USB drive and see if that works.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

Don't do anything drastic as it should be easy to fix.

You were getting a "bootmgr is missing" error. Do you still get this error if the SSD or the old HD are the only drives in the computer and you try to boot?

Edit... Looks like that is true. Do you have a Win7 DVD?

Visitor
darrinps

Yes I do. I have it booted up at home using just it (no HDD or SSD installed).

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

OK. Install your SSD. Boot from the Win7 DVD and do two repairs. The first will find your OS and restart. The second takes you to a big menu. Choose Startup Repair. Win7 should then load. Success?