Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
tonystirling

Norton Ghost 15 recovery points

1.  During the backup set up  procedure (Norton Ghost 15) there is an option to set the number of recovery points.  What determines how many recovery points should be set?

2.  I assume that Incremental backups contain changes that have occurred since the last backup.  What if the incremental backups contain malware or corrupted files?  If a backup recovery is made will the incremental files be added and thus introduce malware and corrupted files etc to the recovered backup?

:smileyfrustrated:

dickevans

Re: Norton Ghost 15 recovery points

tonystirling wrote:

1.  During the backup set up  procedure (Norton Ghost 15) there is an option to set the number of recovery points.  What determines how many recovery points should be set?

2.  I assume that Incremental backups contain changes that have occurred since the last backup.  What if the incremental backups contain malware or corrupted files?  If a backup recovery is made will the incremental files be added and thus introduce malware and corrupted files etc to the recovered backup?

:smileyfrustrated:

Hi,

Yes, incremental backups are changed files since the last full backup. If you don't do your best to insure that your system is clean before each full or incremental backup then also, yes, you can introduce malware or corrupted files into your backup.

With one of the Norton security products and a free scanner like Malwarebytes of Superantispyware to compliment it you should be able to protect yourself [ok, your system] from harm.

I'm away from my system with Ghost installed so I'll have to wait to respond to that question. Maybe one of the real experts will step in and help us both out. :smileywink:

Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

A Recovery Point set is the base backup and incrementals. Each incremental relies on the one before it. So, for example, if Ghost creates...

C_Drive001.v2i
C_Drive001_i001.iv2i
C_Drive001_i002.iv2i
C_Drive001_i003.iv2i
C_Drive001_i004.iv2i
C_Drive001_i005.iv2i
C_Drive001_i006.iv2i
C_Drive001_i007.iv2i
C_Drive001_i008.iv2i
C_Drive001_i009.iv2i
C_Drive001_i010.iv2i

...and something corrupts C_Drive001_i005.iv2i, then C_Drive001_i005.iv2i through C_Drive001_i010.iv2i are toast. You would still be able to use the images before C_Drive001_i010.iv2i.

As Dick mentioned, it the PC contains malware, the image will to. In the case above, say you cleaned the malware at recovery point C_Drive001_i004.iv2i, then the images after that will restore clean.

Does that help?

Visitor
tonystirling

Thanks to you both for very useful information.  However, it is still not clear how many recovery points should be selected when that option appears during the backup setup process. 

dickevans

tonystirling wrote:

Thanks to you both for very useful information.  However, it is still not clear how many recovery points should be selected when that option appears during the backup setup process. 

Tony,

I don't think that there is a 'fixed' number recommended. It is more a function of what you will lose when your primary drive crashes. Can you recover everything with only the last week's backup? Do you need to keep a month's worth of data for when a disaster happens? It will be your determination. I keep at least a month's backup. Some testing I do can last awhile and I like to be able to recover back to a point before I started palying so I can try to get it right the second/third/fourth time.

I'm sure others have their own preferences so you can ask them if they don't chime in :smileywink:

Dick
Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

I can go back about 6 months.

New baseline monthly with an incremental each night.

dickevans

redk9258 wrote:

I can go back about 6 months.

New baseline monthly with an incremental each night.

Just checked. I'm on 3 months with incrementals twice a week. Cut back when I stopped keeping the books for a non-profit.

Dick