Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Strawberry
Accepted Solution

Norton Ghost 15 what backup files to save

I have just installed a new drive with WIN 7/32.  I want to save my last files & drive backup (WINXP) before beginning my new backups.  Do I just go by the last dates?

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Re: Norton Ghost 15 what backup files to save

Depending on how you backed up your computer, you may have the following files... V2I, IV2I, SV2I and maybe a few others.

You don't really need the SV2I file. It is just an index file that tells Ghost how the partition(s) were laid out.

If you have IV2I files, you need the whole set including the base V2I file.

A V2I file can be used by itself.

Does that help?

Visitor
Strawberry

I have a V2i file plus i001.iv21 to i004.iv2i files. The v2i file is 4 times the size of the 4 iv2i files.  On the same date as the i004.iv2i there is a folder "File Backup Data".

Do I need all? 

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Strawberry wrote:

I have a V2i file plus i001.iv21 to i004.iv2i files. The v2i file is 4 times the size of the 4 iv2i files.  On the same date as the i004.iv2i there is a folder "File Backup Data".

Do I need all? 

If you want to use i004.iv2i, you also need the base .v2i file along with i001.iv2i, i002.iv2i, and i003.iv2i.

What is in the File Backup Data folder? I suspect you used File and Folder Backup at one time or another so it probably contains .fbf files. If so, and the data is also in the image file (i004.iv2i), then the files are redundant and can be deleted. If the files that were backed up by File and Folder Backup were not in the image file(s), you can import that folder into Ghost to rebuild the database and restore files if you want.

Note that if you want to prune this down to one .v2i file, You can open i004.iv2i in Recovery Point Browser and use the Copy button to export that Recovery Point to it's very own .v2i file. This file will not depend on anything else.

Visitor
Strawberry

You were correct about the .fbf files.   I've copied & stored the 5 v2i folders for the "just in case" siituation.  Thanks for the help and understanding.