Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
WoofyH

Norton GoBack Error Message 122

I work for a non-profit and someone donated a computer to us that has an old copy of Norton GoBack on it. I never paid any attention to it until late last week when I found that I would boot the computer and I would get error message 122: GoBack rebooted your computer, because it detected your system was unstable..." I then get an error message 141 that says I need to reboot as the system is unstable". this error comes up twice and then I get a black screen with the curser in the upper left corner.

Sometimes I can get into GoBack's main menu and try and disable Norton GoBack. as was suggested by Norton. I still get the error messages, no matter what I try. No luck with safe load, load with network, load the last time the system worked, etc.

I'm at my wits end and could really use some advice!

dickevans

Re: Norton GoBack Error Message 122

WoofyH wrote:

I work for a non-profit and someone donated a computer to us that has an old copy of Norton GoBack on it. I never paid any attention to it until late last week when I found that I would boot the computer and I would get error message 122: GoBack rebooted your computer, because it detected your system was unstable..." I then get an error message 141 that says I need to reboot as the system is unstable". This error comes up twice and then I get a black screen with the curser in the upper left corner.

Sometimes I can get into GoBack's main menu and try and disable Norton GoBack. as was suggested by Norton. I still get the error messages, no matter what I try. No luck with safe load, load with network, load the last time the system worked, etc.

I'm at my wits end and could really use some advice!

Welcome WoofyH

Before you go for the bigger hammer let's try a few things. I'm going to assume that you have access to other more well behaved  computers. Using one of them download a copy of the Norton Removal Tool. Put it on a media that the problem computer will recognize. Boot to safe mode with the command prompt and see if you can install NRT. If so run it, reboot and run it again. Reboot and see if the system will come up normally. If that doesn't work it may be time to reformat the drive and start fresh.

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
huwyngr
Topics: 1,034
Kudos: 2,820
Solutions: 376

Norton withdrew GoBack from its range of products some time ago in part because of problems with it so I'd suggest you uninstall it as completely as you can. I don't think the Norton Removal Tool touches it.

People who may know more about GoBack are likely to be in the Other Norton Products Forum here so I'll suggest a moderator moves your message there. You won't lose sight of it because a link will be left here.

Hugh
Volunteer
pore_vinod

Refer to the following KB article to download the GoBack ISO file and create a bootable disk:

Creating a bootable CD while troubleshooting a GoBack problem

Use the gb_prog.exe to unhook GoBack from MBR. The following command is used to unhook GoBack:

gb_prog.exe /u 

-Vinod