Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
CodyMaverick
Accepted Solution

Norton Security Suite from Comcast Upgrade Spam - How do I disable this?

Greetings all,

I have an Internet subscription through Comcast and with it I am able to get a free Norton Security Suite program.  The Norton Security Suite through Comcast also came with a Constant Guard supplemental program which I didn't install as I didn't find it necessary.  

Norton Security suite hasn't been the best and I've had issues with certain options like the stupid "Norton is performing background tasks" pop up ad-nauseum, but nothing I haven't been able to work around.  However, lately, I've been getting a SPAM pop up that tells me that there is a Norton upgrade available and that it's already been downloaded and it's ready for install!  WTF?!

1.  I didn't authorize this update to be downloaded, and if it did in fact get downloaded, it did so without my permission.

2.  I don't want to install this update to the Norton Security Suite.  I'm satisfied with what I've already got.

3.  I don't want to receive a NAG SPAM screen telling me that it's been downloaded and is ready for installation.

4.  There is no "Opt Out" or  "Don't ask me again - EVER" button to push.  It's either "remind me later" or "start the install".  I do not wish to do either.  Very clever and annoying!

How do I disable this stupid NAG SPAM?  I do not wish to uninstall and then re-install Norton Security Suite.  Everything was running fine within normal tolerances until I started receiving this worthless NAG SPAM pop up. 

Please tell me where the file is located on my computer so I can delete it or tell me how I can disable it forever.  I do not wish to see it ever again!

Here's a screen shot of the stupid NAG SPAM screen.

Norton Spam Advertisement.jpg

yank
Kudos: 2,030
Solutions: 471

Re: Norton Security Suite from Comcast Upgrade Spam - How do I disable this?

The product update comes down via live update as do all other updates and definitions for the product (as with most AV programs). If you choose not to update the product to the latest version, that is your choice.

The way it is configured, you can click "remind me later" and you will get another alert the next day. After a few of those, a new option "do not remind me again" will appear, and when you click that, the update agent and install files will be removed from your system.

The product will not be updated without your consent.

Visitor
CodyMaverick

Yank,

Thanks for the response.  I will continue keep tally on how many times I get this particular NAG SPAM before I get the golden "do not remind me again" message.  So far, this is the 4th time I've received this pop up, so I'm wondering how many "a few times" actually is before I get it.  Super annoying! 

yank

CodyMaverick wrote:

Yank,

Thanks for the response.  I will continue keep tally on how many times I get this particular NAG SPAM before I get the golden "do not remind me again" message.  So far, this is the 4th time I've received this pop up, so I'm wondering how many "a few times" actually is before I get it.  Super annoying! 

Have you been clicking  "remind me later"?  :smileywink: 

Super Spyware Scolder
RoloX2

CodyMaverick wrote:

How do I disable this stupid NAG SPAM? 

Install the update. :D

Security software must be updated to remain effective.  If you don't update it, you may as well just uninstall it.  What is the big deal?  Why don't you want to update it?  Do you keep Windows out of date as well (and keep it vulnerable)?

\\ZAPHOD: Win7x64pro; 4.2GHz Sandy Bridge; 8GB DDR3-2133; Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 2xGTX580 SLI; Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB RST cache); WD 2002FAEX; Seagate 2TB LP, 500GB 7200.10; Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W; APC RS1500; Antec 1200 | Beta box \\BEEBLEBROX: Win7x64ult; 3GHz Conroe; 4GB DDR2-900; Gigabyte P965-DQ6v3.3, GTX260; 5x250GB WD Blue 4xRAID0; Enermax Platimax 600w; APC RS1500; Antec 902
yank

RoloX2 wrote:

CodyMaverick wrote:

How do I disable this stupid NAG SPAM? 

Install the update. :D

Security software must be updated to remain effective.  If you don't update it, you may as well just uninstall it.  What is the big deal?  Why don't you want to update it?  Do you keep Windows out of date as well (and keep it vulnerable)?

There are reasons why some folks do not want to upgrade.  You will notice I said upgrade - which is what this would be.  There is a difference between update and upgrade.  I have avoided an upgrade in some cases - especially when FireFox upgrades the version and that renders Norton Toolbar inoperative until Norton updates it.  I will wait until the fix is available for Norton and then upgrade my FF.  There have also been issues in the past with IE9 upgrade causing the NTB to not work.

Super Spyware Scolder
RoloX2

[ Edited ]

"Upgrade" would be going from v4.x to v5.x.

"Update" would be updating the currently installed version to a newer version of the same major upgrade.  Yes, technically, in a development context, you are correct in that v5.0 to v5.1 is a minor upgrade versus a v4.x to v5.x major upgrade but, operationally, "update" connotes minor upgrades.

I hear you about postponing Firefox updates (I do the same if it will break an add-on) but that isn't the case here--at least, a reason wasn't mentioned.  It's more like installing Windows xp/Vista/7 and never running Windows Update/install service packs (minor upgrades) because you don't want to "upgrade".

I don't like nag screens either but you have to think of the lowest common denominator here and Norton is just trying to protect users from themselves whilst covering itself.  Having been a developer, I've had many bug reports report a bug that was fixed in an automatic update and documented on the very site they used to report the bug.  Had I not given these users the option of disabling automatic updates, I probably wouldn't have wasted development time on them.

\\ZAPHOD: Win7x64pro; 4.2GHz Sandy Bridge; 8GB DDR3-2133; Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, 2xGTX580 SLI; Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB RST cache); WD 2002FAEX; Seagate 2TB LP, 500GB 7200.10; Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250W; APC RS1500; Antec 1200 | Beta box \\BEEBLEBROX: Win7x64ult; 3GHz Conroe; 4GB DDR2-900; Gigabyte P965-DQ6v3.3, GTX260; 5x250GB WD Blue 4xRAID0; Enermax Platimax 600w; APC RS1500; Antec 902
Symantec Employee
balafei

hi CodyMaverick,

Is there a reason why you dont like to upgrade to newer version?  the latest version has the following new functionality compared to the last version.  It is highly recommended to upgrade to a newer version.

improved system performance

sonar 3 Behavior protection
safe web with newer browser support
norton insite to protect you from online threat detection

If you still decide not to upgrade to newer version, the alert is designed to show "remind me later" for the first 4 times.  Clicking "x" also acts as "remind me later".  After the 4th times, you will see the "do not remoind me again" option.

hope this helps!

thanks,

Fei

Visitor
CodyMaverick

Alrighty then.  I finally got the don't show this message again, pop up window.  Yeah! 

Here is a screen shot.

Some forum members have asked why I do not wish to install the upgrade and why I am annoyed and/or against it.  Here are a couple of my reasons.

1.  As it is now, the program works fairly well.  After all, it's free.  If I had to buy, it would be something else.

2.  In the past, I upgraded my Norton anti-virus and instead of a nice quiet program that worked anonymously and unnoticed in the background, it changed to give me stupid assed pop ups every single time it's "doing background tasks" full system scans that never seem to end, etc. etc.  I don't want to know about it or hear about it.  I just want it to work quietly in the background and only notify me if it finds something extraordinary and/or dangerous.  Otherwise, I want it to exist on my system as if it weren't even there.  But, unfortunately, that ended somewhere around Antivirus 2008 or 2009.  I shouldn't have clicked the button to upgrade way back when, but now I'm already down the river in "Pop Up City".    Check it out....In all the years I've used Norton products, I've never ever received a spam pop up like this telling me that a new upgrade has been downloaded to my computer without my invitation and encouragement to install it.  So, now we have to endure unwanted spam and unsolicited downloads from our own program providers.  Ha, whatever.

So, fool me once, but not again.  It has been my experience that when companies offer you a free upgrade or update, that it ends up benefitting the company more so than the end user.  Case in point....anyone out there have an Iphone or Ipod touch?  Ever downloaded a free app that worked wonderfully and then came a happy assed notice about an update and so you did it and then once you updated the app, there were all kinds of adware and other pop ups?  See, basically nothing in the update which benefits the user, but only the company pushing the update/upgrade.  Looks like Norton is following suit.

So,,,,,,none for me.....no upgrades or updates...thank you very much......just the same.....and please don't give me any pop ups and please don't automatically download anything to my computer without my permission first.  I don't need Norton to protect me from myself as I'm not a novice computer user.