Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
jlmorris922
Accepted Solution

Norton Security Suite thru Comcast Cable Co.

My Norton Security Suite and Constant Guard programs come to me through my cable company as a part of my package deal.  I have come to the Norton web site and have registered, however when I've used the auto-detection app it says I dont have any Norton products installed on my pc. What is going on with this. I use my security suite everyday to remove junk files and keep my pc secure. Can you advise how i can get Norton to recoginize that I do have valid software installed on my pc. ?

yank
Kudos: 2,234
Solutions: 511

Re: Norton Security Suite thru Comcast Cable Co.

Hi jlmorris922,

Long story short - there's nothing wrong with what you are seeing - weird, but not incorrect.

There are certain functions that do work differently with the Norton Security Suite as compared to a commercially purchased Norton product..

The actual  subscription is handled by Comcast ( you have it as long as you remain a customer).  It is actually downloaded from a Norton server, but your subscription is not tracked by Norton.  You do not have an account with Norton (it is with Comcast) and as such Norton has no record of you having  Norton Security Suite installed.  If you look at your NSS, you will not see and ACCOUNT heading nor a "SUBSCRIPTION STATUS" showing the number of days remaining on your subscription.

NSS remains up to date in regards to definitions for all the protection areas, however, it does lag when a version upgrade (version 4 to version 5) or major version revision (changes the version number - 5.0 to 5.1) occurs.  There may be a month or so wait for the version upgrade and the revisions normally occur within a few weeks.  It makes sense that the Norton paying customers have the latest and greatest first.

That said, it is not all bad.  It actually gives the NSS users an advantage i that if there is something that doesn't  quite work as advertised, Norton has a chance to ficx it before NSS receives the change.

So in reality, it is not necessary to "get Norton to recognize that you have valid software"  Comcast keeps track of that and you will know that Norton hasn't forgotten about you either, as you will continue to receive all the updated definitions via LiveUpdate - just like those Norton tracks and provides the exact same defintion updates to.

I hope that explains it to you!

Visitor
jlmorris922

Thank you for the reply. It was helpful and solved the mystery.

dickevans

jimmorris922

Glad to read that the problem has been solved.

Now a housekeeping request. Please click on the solved button so that the thread is marked and others will not attempt to assisst in solving your solved problem :smileywink:

Thanks

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Visitor
jlmorris922

Hey Dick , again thank you for the response. I dont want to sound stupid but I'm not sure where that SOLVED button is at . I went to the top of the page and wa-la there was an icon that does say SOLVED, I did click it, and click it, well I didnt feel or see a thing, was that all I needed to do ? Please advise. Jmorris

dickevans

jlmorris922 wrote:

Hey Dick , again thank you for the response. I dont want to sound stupid but I'm not sure where that SOLVED button is at . I went to the top of the page and wa-la there was an icon that does say SOLVED, I did click it, and click it, well I didnt feel or see a thing, was that all I needed to do ? Please advise. Jmorris

Hi Jmorris,

Somebody clicked on the right button at some point so all is well.

Since the system only allows the author of the first message to do that I'm going to have to assume that you did it.

The main point is that now the thread is marked and others will no think that there is a need to read through the messages to see if they can add anything to help solve the problem

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
dak_kol

"You can close the Service Notice without any further action ……"

This is untrue and the Comcast service agents will tell you they cannot shut it off.

The only option is to pay Comcast for in-home or on-line service to investigate (NOT GUARANTEED TO RESOLVE) the issue FOR EACH AND EVERY INCIDENT.

COMCAST is pushing out an in-browser nag that cannot be closed or disabled. This nag reports that a BOT "might" exist on "some" computer either on my network or illegally accessing my network. Multiple calls with COMCAST service results only in an offering to send out a service technician at an inflated rate or charge up to $130 for an on-line service technician.My computers are routinely checked and certified clean of all virus and malware. COMCAST push their in-browser interruption in violation of the rights of the customer to choose how to resolve internet security issues only to push charges out to customers. COMCAST are themselves unable to "clean" a computer to the satisfaction of their in-browser automated service interruption.

COMCAST "BOT" detection interrupts normal internet access.  COMCAST is illegally obstructing internet browsing and rendering internet access virtually useless and refuse to deal with the problem unless you pay a visiting COMCAST ONLY service technician or pay the COMCAST ONLY online service fee of $130 or more per use.

REPORT COMCAST TO THE FCC AND YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL - I DID.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Visitor
rratney

Recently I upgraded to Windows 7 and immediately found that the numeric/symbol keys on my keyboard did not enter the correct characters on web pages with either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Word processors and EMail worked normally. Long story short I finally found the solution on an HP support forum. It was suggested that I uninstall Norton Constant Guard (which I had gotten through Comcast). I did just that and voila, my keyboard works just the way its supposed to. You may be aware of this problem and solution but it any case I think it is urgent that you correct the glitch in Constant Guard or tell Comcast to tell their subscribers to uninstall Constant Guard if they have or are about to install Windows 7.

Ron Ratney

yank
Kudos: 2,234
Solutions: 511

rratney wrote:

Recently I upgraded to Windows 7 and immediately found that the numeric/symbol keys on my keyboard did not enter the correct characters on web pages with either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Word processors and EMail worked normally. Long story short I finally found the solution on an HP support forum. It was suggested that I uninstall Norton Constant Guard (which I had gotten through Comcast). I did just that and voila, my keyboard works just the way its supposed to. You may be aware of this problem and solution but it any case I think it is urgent that you correct the glitch in Constant Guard or tell Comcast to tell their subscribers to uninstall Constant Guard if they have or are about to install Windows 7.

Ron Ratney

Hi Ron, welcome to the Norton Forums, and thanks for your feedback.

You are absolutely correct the problem you encountered is caused by the Constant Guard Protection Suite.  You could have found the same solution and many more examples of CGPS problems by visitng the Comcast Help and Support Forums here

Comcast users have been conmplaining about the CGPS program since it's arrival last summer and Comcast to date has beenunable to correct all the problems and the users who post ont he forum over there continue to suggest removal/non-install. 

Please be aware thereis a separate download for the Norton Securtiy Suite here which will install just the NSS, with out all the CGPS problems.  Of course in order to get to the actual downlaod of NSS, you must click ont he No Thanks button for CGPS.  This is one of the flaws with the way Comcst has it set up - the lesser experienced users accept the CGPS popup and end up with more problems than they bargained for.  BTW - the removal of CGPS does not affect the install of NSS - it remains in tact.