Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
Fatbellytubby
Accepted Solution

Norton Utilities Defrag and BSOD help Windows 7

Hi,

I have done a search for this problem and have come to some solutions but still need help. Essentally I cannot boot Windows  7 64 bit after I compacted some of the registries. Here is the link I found helpful. However I cannot seem to access my C: from the X command prompt,

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/NU-15-is-deadly-for-System-7-64/td-p/659677/pag...

I have tried to follow Dave's solution. However when I type C: that works, but when I type cd windows I get a "the system cannot find the path specified"

My local disk where Windows 7 is installed is on the C drive. I tried the command prompt from the Windows 7 cd and also from the Repair tool that pops up after windows crashed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Re: Norton Utilities Defrag and BSOD help Windows 7

Drive letters really only exist within the operating system.  Although booting to a windows repair disk will try to match the partitions to the drive letters your familar with you can't always count on it being the same.

Boot to your windows 7 DVD.

First screen select your language

next screen DO NOT select install, on the bottom left click "repair your computer".

See these screenshots here, you want to cancell using system restore and on the next screen you want to select "View Advanced Options for Recovery".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

That screen that says "System Recovery Options" is what you want, the bottom choice is the command prompt.

If this is what you did when you got that error, use the "dir" command (directories) to view the files and folders on that drive.

C:

CD windows

(if you get error type the next line)

dir

Look at whats listed, if it is the incorrect partition you may have to try D or E

D:

dir

When you find the correct drive that has the windows folder continuie with my instructions on the other thread.

If you have trouble let us know, another option is using a live linux disk or other PE disk instead of a command line.

Dave

Visitor
Fatbellytubby

Hi,

Okay I finally found my drive. It was drive D:

So I typed the below after going through:

D:

cd windows

cd system32

cd config

dir

ren system system.bad

ren software software.bad

ren security security.bad

ren sam sam.bad

ren default default.bad

ren system.rmbac system (its .rmbak i think is what I typed instead of .rmbac)

ren software.rmbac software

ren security.rmbac security

ren sam.rmbac sam

ren default.rmbac default

What I see when i go to dir i see roughly these after I typed what was in your instructions. 

BCD-Template

COMPONENTS

default (I accidentally renamed it .bad. Originally it was DEFAULT)

default.rmbak

Journal

RegBack

sam.bad

security.bad

software

software.bad

system.bad

systemprofile

TxR

I am still not able to load into windows, it goes to the system repair even without the windows 7 cd and says it cannot start automatically and gives me the prompt to send the problem or don't send.

When I type ren software.rmbak software I get a "the system cannot find the file specified"

I might've typed it all wrong and now dug myself in a deeper hole. 

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Fatbellytubby wrote:

What I see when i go to dir i see roughly these after I typed what was in your instructions. 

BCD-Template

COMPONENTS

default (I accidentally renamed it .bad. Originally it was DEFAULT)

default.rmbak

Journal

RegBack

sam.bad

security.bad

software

software.bad

system.bad

systemprofile

TxR

I am still not able to load into windows, it goes to the system repair even without the windows 7 cd and says it cannot start automatically and gives me the prompt to send the problem or don't send.

When I type ren software.rmbak software I get a "the system cannot find the file specified"

I might've typed it all wrong and now dug myself in a deeper hole. 

I'm not seeing a couple files there.

You should have these registry files:

Sam

Security

Software

System

If your missing any of those see if you have them still with the .rmbak extention

When you went through that list renaming the files both times you should have got a confirmation each time saying something like (1 file sucessfully copied).

Check for those 5 files, if you renamed all the backups that Norton utilities made you should not have any .rmbak files in that folder, they all should now have no extentions.

If you have trouble seeing the list when you type dir because it scrolls up too fast, you can type:

dir /p

That shows the directory list one "page" at a time and pauses the display until you press enter.

If worse should come to worse, windows 7 makes copies of the registry files every 7-10 days or so but it would be better to try to restore the .rmbak files because they are all current.

Dave

Visitor
Fatbellytubby

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave,

Thanks! 

I just got rid of all the .bad extensions but I still have one default.bad and one software.bad that won't change

default.bad

software

software.bad

that's okay right?

Thanks again!