Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
housewolf

Re: Problem with One Button Checkup (Norton Internet Security)

Hi Allen

Yes, my NIS screen looks like the one your screen-copy above, and that is where I got the version number.

Yes, when I look at Remove Programs, I do see both NIS and Norton SystemWorks.

I'm thinking at this point that SystemWorks came with the machine as a trial when I bought it in 2007, and when the trial expired, I bought and installed NIS, thinking that I was just upgrading SystemWorks, although SystemWorks apparantly is still active.  The only version numbers I can come up with are from individual components - System Optimizer is Ver 3 Bld 1.6 (appears to be from 2007) and Norton Utilities is Ver 21.0.0.67

My question now is do I need SystemWorks, does it do anything that NIS doesn't do, and should I just uninstall SystemWorks?

Thanks for your help,

Beth

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello housewolf

My version is 22.0.0.52 and mine is from 2009 System Works, so it looks like yours is 2008.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

AllenM
Topics: 227
Kudos: 2,161
Solutions: 379

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the update. Systemworks does have some utilities that do not exist in NIS but the concern I have is whether the anti-virus component of systemworks is still active and could be causing interference or problems with NIS.

Does the systemworks entry in Control panel indicate whether it is Basic or Standard, etc? I believe this should also be specified in Help > About from the main Systemworks window.

Please note that Systemworks has been discontinued by Symantec. The version you have is compatible with WIndows Vista but is NOT compatible with Windows 7. So if you plan to upgrade to Windows 7 you should consider removing this soon and in either case you will need to remove systemworks before upgrading to Windows 7.

For Windows 7 I would recommend a combination such as NIS and Norton Utilities which has most (but not quite all) of the features of Systemworks.

Please let me know on the version (Standard, Basic) etc of Systemworks and I will make further recommendations.

Also please explain in a little more detail exactly what stage the One button checkup gets to before you see the problem.

Thanks very much.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19
Visitor
housewolf

Hi Allen,

It's SystemWorks Basic.  Attached are some pics that might help answer some of the questions.

First is the NortonSystemWorks main page

Second is the contents of my menu "Norton System Works" from Start/All Programs

Third is the contents of my menu item "Norton" from Start/AllPrograms

Fourth is the One Button Checkup window that I always see

Are there any  components of anti-virus that show up in Task Manager that I could see if they are running or not?

6379i3A8DA0F5876CFA67

6381iA5C4577E624D2361

6383i1FA9959E82174D69

6385iDAB33551968791AF

Thanks again for all your help - you're an angel!

Beth

AllenM

Hi Beth,

Thanks very much for the additional information. The good news is that Norton Sytemworks Basic does not include an anti-virus component so we should be OK there. Did you find that Systemworks was the Basic edition from Help > About or somewhere else?

Thanks for the images, however it will take a while before I can see them since the forum moderator must approve them before they become visible.

Do you recall having any other security software installed other than NIS at any time?

I would recommend to uninstall and reinstall Systemworks to see if this clears up the issue and possibly even running the Norton removal tool but before I ask you to do this, I do want to look at the images.

The images might take several hours (sometimes longer on weekends/holidays) but I will post back once I can view them.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.5.0.19 * Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari.
Visitor
housewolf

Hi Allen,

The System Works menu page header says that it's the Basic edition.  Strangely, there's no Help/About link on that page or for System Works as a whole - rather, each individual component has its own Help/About menu. 

Thanks for taking your time with this, I'll look forward to hearing from you later when you've had a chance to view the pics.

Beth

Visitor
housewolf

P.S. No, I don't recall installing any other security programs (a measure of my trust in NIS???)   :smileyvery-happy:

Have a good evening...

Beth

AllenM

Hi Beth,

You have a good evening too and I'll post back as soon as I can see the images. :smileywink:

Best wishes.

Allen

AllenM

Hi Beth,

I can see your images now. The scan appears to be hanging up when trying to do a standard disk cleanup operation where it does things like remove temporary internet files, cookie cleanup, etc.

Let's start by making sure that your hard drive does not have any problems. This will check for things like bad sectors on your hard drive, etc. Please run a chkdsk on your system drive as follows:

From start menu, type in cmd in the search box. This will bring up a command prompt (DOS) window. In this window please type chkdsk c: /r and hit Return. Windows will inform you that the chkdsk must be scheduled for the next restart. Please answer YES to this and reboot your computer. Chkdsk will now check your C drive. Please keep an eye on this and see if it reports and corrects any problems with your hard drive.

After this is completed, please allow your computer to boot up and log into Windows. Check to see if the problem is still present with One Button Checkup.

If it is still present, please continue below:

Let's try to uninstall and reinstall Norton Systemworks and see if this corrects the issue.

Please make sure and have your product key for Systemworks available as you might need it to reinstall later on. You might be able to get this from your Norton Account also but it is possible it may not be listed there since you have the Basic edition.

Do you have your original installation file or CD for systemworks available? If not, please check with Customer Service and see if they can provide you a link to download this. For most Norton software I could give you a direct link but since Systemworks is pretty old, unfortunately I do not have a direct link.

Once you have your product key and the installation file or CD, please uninstall Systemworks through Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.

After you uninstall Systemworks, please reboot your computer and reinstall. Even though Systemworks Basic does not have anti-virus component I believe it does have a basic auto-protect feature. So when you reinstall, please select a Custom installation and uncheck anything related to auto-protect or anti-virus before completing the install.

You don't need these components since you have NIS.

We might later need to go the more complete route of using the Norton removal tool but I'd like to start with this and see if it resolves your issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much and best wishes.

Allen

floplot
Topics: 218
Kudos: 2,055
Solutions: 367

Hello

Here is a link for System Works Basic, but it is for the last version of it which is System Works 12. If the key can be found, perhaps it can be used with this version if the key is still valid. I think that Beth said it may have come with the computer.. Any way, here is the link if this is helpful. It has all 3 versions of System Works 12 there which is 2009 version.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20081104151729EN

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.