Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Regular Contributor
coyote2
Accepted Solution

“Recovery Point Browser” Verify inconsistent

If I run my “Recovery Point Browser” Verify function multiple times on the same Point, the results are inconsistent; sometimes they pass and sometimes they fail.

Only happens on one of my drives; I suspect it's happening because the drive is "Dirty".  Unfortunately I only discovered this after the drive being backed up (my system drive) died.  I moved the Dirty backup destination drive to another computer and found CHKDSK wants to run on it, but I've disabled that since I can't risk CHKDSK filesystem changes interferring with my ability to restore to my newly arrived RMA hard drive.  (The Dirty drive passed drive diagnostics perfectly.)

And I expect I'll be able to restore from the Dirty drive, since I've been doing so successfully from time to time.  Then I'll start backing up to a different drive, and then I'll reformat the Dirty drive.

The reason I started trying to Verify points in the first place, was to see if it would give me any insight into whether the drive that died, had issues before it's demise, and if so when.  I've got recovery points that cover several years.

I don't intend to do a fresh install, because I intend to move from XP to Win8 when it comes out in a few months.

I apologize that this all doesn't exactly ask a specific question; I guess I thought someone might surprise me by reassuring me that the Browser's Verify either isn't reliable, or can somehow help say when the drive being backed up started to fail.

I'm inclined at this point to just go back a few months, thinking that would provide plenty of time before the drive started to fail.

Sorry for the long post!

dickevans

Re: “Recovery Point Browser” Verify inconsistent

Hi,

About the only thing I couldn't find in your message was the product and version youare running and need reassuring on.

Keep us posted

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Regular Contributor
coyote2

Oops, sorry, I'm writing about Ghost 15.

Regular Contributor
coyote2

Oh no!  I just tried to restore a couple images, and they all give me "Error ED800012: The internat structure of the recovery point file (CRC Validation) is invalid, damaged or unsupported"

Is there anything I can do? 

Other than that as I mentioned above, if I connect the (Dirth) backup destination drive to another PC, in the Recovery Point Browser I can open, mount, and (hopefully) retrieve the data within. 

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Are you doing the restore and verifications on different systems?

If an image verifies "sometimes" but not all the time I would suspect a hardware problem (RAM).

Dave

Regular Contributor
coyote2

DaveH wrote:

Are you doing the restore and verifications on different systems?

If an image verifies "sometimes" but not all the time I would suspect a hardware problem (RAM).

Dave

Yes; the Recovery Point Browser verifies are on a working PC; I think I Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic, error-free, on it only a few weeks ago.. 

The restore failure is on a PC without a system drive; while waiting for the system drive to arrive over the last week, it's passed an exhaustive array of diagnostics and stress-testing including the above RAM testing, all hard drives, the GPU and CPU.

Here's the best I can come up with:

First I'll make a second (I already made one) TeraCopy of the 1TB of backup images on the Dirty drive.  Then I'll try to mount an image and get the data all off it.  Then I'll run CHKDSK on the Dirty drive at system reboot of the working machine; my prayer is that after this, the images will restore from the now-Dirty drive.  Plan B is a fresh install, hopefully withithout losing data thanks to the mount I'll be attempting.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

A file is either good or bad, there is no in between and the image file does not get changed in any way during the verify.

Any inconsistant results have to be hardware related.

The image explorer also has a "copy" function.  You might want to try that as well to copy the verified image onto another NTFS drive without splitting the image into smaller pieces and using the standard compression.

If the copy also verifies on one system and not the other that may help you find what the problem really is.

If the hard drive used to be internal and is now being read over USB, that could also cause problems on some systems.

By the way, a hard drive in a dirty state does not necessarily mean the drive is going bad unless it has bad sectors on it.

Usually it is just file system or NTFS attribute problems and thats why it can pass a hard drive test when windows considers it dirty.

Best of luck,

Dave

Regular Contributor
coyote2

Thank you very much for your excellent reply, Dave!

On a long-gone system which had repeated RAM stick failures, I learned to regard SRD Verify failures as the first sign of another stick dying.  But one time that wasn't the case; the recovery environment (SRD) wouldn't verify/restore, but in Windows the Recovery Point Browser verified fine; the people on Ghost phone support told me Point Browser verify was not to be trusted.  (Then again, I'm overjoyed that THIS forum now exists, because I almost always felt that I was teaching those phone support people, instead of it going the other way.)

I failed to note above that the Recovery Point Browser verifies pass only occasionally, maybe only 1 of 10 tries.  I'm not convinced I have any good images.  But thank you, I very much appreciate learning that the Recovery Point Browser has a Copy function, I will try what you suggest.

But first I think I'll repeat the RAM testing I did a couple weeks ago on the working machine, just to make sure it's still AOK.  (Overnight RAM testing on the system without a boot drive again passed errorlessly.)

I agree, I'm convinced that the Dirty drive has no functionality issues (it passes excellent diagnostics), but only filesystem errors.  While in my experience resolving filesystem errors with CHKDSK can totally hose the data on a drive (hence my plan to make a second backup first), this time I hope it saves my bacon.

Because I'm beyond alarmed at the possibility that after a lifetime of dedicated backing up, lightning has struck me in the form of a boot drive dying, and while awaiting RMA on it, it's backup drive's filesystem becomes corrupted such that the data is irretrievable. 

Regular Contributor
coyote2

p.s.

coyote2 wrote:

I'll repeat the RAM testing I did a couple weeks ago on the working machine, just to make sure it's still AOK.  

Done; RAM and CPU testing on both machines is still error-free.

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

I once had an image that would not verify or restore. I ended up mounting it as a drive letter and running chkdsk on it. It fixed the problem and I used either ImageX (from Microsoft) or Symantec Ghost to capture a new image (I cannot remember which). Unfortunately, you cannot use Norton Ghost to image a v2i file mounted as a drive letter. That would be handy for situations like this.