08-22-2008 10:35 AM
I have Symantec Anti Virus 10.1.7.7000. We had a virus get into the computer this week (adware.virtumonde). Although the virus appears cleared out, I can no longer start scans because it gives a Scan Engine error 0x20000058. Browsing around the internet, I have tried the following:
- On the Windows Services tab, checked to make sure box was checked that allowed service to interact with desktop
- Did a complete uninstall and reinstall. This included using Norton Removal Tool the second time.
- Checked to see that Scheduled scans can be done - it appeared to work properly.
- Saw several other threads in various places concerning Windows 2000 and Windows NT, but nothing for XP, aside from checking the Services tab (mentioned above).
I have two questions:
1. The most obvious... Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
2. With the manual scans inoperative, is it still safe to assume the anti virus is still working? (The yellow shield symbol on the lower right side of the screen appears normal, and Windows Security Center indicates anti virus is working).
08-22-2008 04:54 PM