Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Re: USB 3 compatibility

[ Edited ]

Since Ghost 15 is BESR 2010's cousin, I guess THIS LINK explains it.

Problem

Symantec SRD (System Recovery Disk) included with Symantec System Recovery 2011 and Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 does not support USB 3.0. 

Cause

USB 3.0 is not supported. The USB 3.0 drive will not be recognized at all by the SRD (System Recovery Disk) which is required to boot-up with to recover a server if the System drive has died or becomes corrupted.

Solution

Use USB 2.0 hard drive as backup destination or plug the USB 3.0 drive into a 2.0 port.

Work Around:

If the USB 3.0 drive is connected to a USB 2.0 port then the drive will work if backward compatible to USB 2.0 but will perform at the USB 2.0 throughput not the faster USB 3.0 throughput.

Source

UMI

Value

v-306-35

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142778

Regular Visitor
dazzdarryl

Over the past 4 months, I have backed up my computer to a Western Digital USB3 drive on a number of occasions. Backups were done whilst in Windows XP. Yesterday I had the need to restore my computer, however, my USB3 drive was not recognised by my custom Ghost recovery disk. When I tried to add my USB3 drivers to a newly cvreated recovery disk, a message appeared advising that the driver was not supported. From tyhe created ISO recovery image, i used Ultra ISO to manually add my USB3 drivers to the image file. I then burnt the image file to DVD. When I booted the DVD, I then selected Utilities Menu - Load a Driver option when the main menu appeared. I then loaded the 2 inf files  in relation to the USB3 ( my nmotherboard is Gigabyte ). When I then selected the recovery option, my USB3 western digital drive  then appeared in the listing of available devices, from which I then selected the image file to restore my computer.

Everything worked fine. Thank goodness ( I could have used an USB2 port to restore the image, but I was determined to use my USB3 drive - much quicker )

Darryl

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

If you make a Custom SRD, you should be able to add those drivers so they load automatically. If you have the Windows Automated Install Kit, you can use Dism.exe to add drivers to the boot.wim file. See HERE. I would imagine this is similar to what Ghost does when it creates the Custom SRD.

Contributor
Bitbob

Glad that worked for you but it didn't for me . I have an ASUS MB with the NEC usb3 chipset. Tried loading drivers from usb stick and Ghost indicated that they had been loaded but still did not see external usb3 drive. btw this driver doesn't have to be on the cd to load it after Ghost boot from SRD.  It still doesn't recognize the usb3 external drives. Had problems trying ultraiso because it only allowed 300mb iso image to be written (Ghost SRD is at least 450mb) and I didn't want to buy it just to see if it would make a difference. Don't see how it could so Ghost 15 must work with some usb3 drivers and not others???Thanks for the idea.

Contributor
Bitbob

How would you use WAIK to edit an ISO. The docs only mention using it with a WIM file?

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Bitbob wrote:

using it with a WIM file?

Bitbob,

I think using this tool is an easy way to edit boot.wim.

http://mikecel79.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/dism-gui-2-0/

If the trial UltraISO doesn't work with the Ghost ISO, you can copy boot.wim out of and back into the ISO with TBOSDT (free).

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Red also pointed out a free way to edit ISO's a while back using 7-Zip and ImgBurn.

When 7-Zip extracts an ISO it makes an extra folder holding the boot image, then ImgBurn can be used to make a bootable ISO using that boot image.

Dave

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Dave, thanks for the reminder about Red's method. I found this...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Accessing-Norton-Ghost-backups-stored-on-TrueCr...

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

I don't know how you do that, I seem to have nothing but trouble trying to find anything with the search here.

I forgot a couple points because I was talking on the phone with my mommy.  (It's Mothers Day here).

BitBob- Your correct that drivers can be manually loaded from a flash drive.  Thats an easy way to test them.

Only if you can load them that way would it be worth the time to include them on a new disk.

If the driver did work you would also have to decide if it's worth the trouble to include it in the .Wim, or just add a folder to the ISO and manually load them from there.  Of course it would be easier if they loaded automatically, but if your not recovering your system very often it may not be worth the trouble.

Darryl- If you could post a link to the driver you used I would be curious to look at the .inf

I find it odd that you could not add it to a custom disk but it loads manually.

Also, as Brian pointed out the other day.  When your making an image with regular compression Ghost is writing the image slower than USB2 speed to begin with.  So your not going to get any advantage in using USB3.

For recovering images, if your using regular compression I would imagine that the write speed is approx twice the read speed if you have a decent processor.   So I'm not sure how much faster a USB3 drive would be than USB2.

If your USB2 can read at 30-35MB /sec, it seems you may be able to write the image at around 60-70MB /sec

Hard drive to hard drive or USB3 to hard drive, unless you have a SSD might only be around 100MB/sec so unless your restoring images all the time the extra time might not be very significant.

Dave

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

DaveH wrote:

I don't know how you do that, I seem to have nothing but trouble trying to find anything with the search here.

I try to bookmark all posts that I think are worthwhile. I'm sure I've missed out on a lot too. The Search function doesn't help me much either.