Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Visitor
kaybee62

Utilities 14: Missing files unins000.msg, map.dat, values.dat & keys.dat

I want to do an uninstall/reinstall of my Utilities 14. Using Windows 7 Add/Remove Programs tool I get the following message: "Messages file '*\Norton Utilities 14\unins000.msg' is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program."  I've redownloaded the software but when I try to reinstall, I get a message that says I can't install the software until I've uninstalled the existing program. I also get the following error message:  "Norton Utilities is missing core application files:  '*\Data\map.dat, *\Data\values.dat, and *\Data\keys.dat.'  Please reinstall."

I've seen other similar posts (in fact, the above is a partial cut and paste from an earlier post)  but the solutions aren't clear to me.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
High_Kicks

Re: Utilities 14: Missing files unins000.msg, map.dat, values.dat & keys.dat

hey kaybee62!!

did u try to delete all the related files by searching for thm n thn try an installation after a reboot?

hk

Visitor
kaybee62

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.  To answer, no I have not tried that.  However, I'm not sure what you mean by 'related files'?  Do you mean uninstalling the program manually?

Regular Contributor
High_Kicks

hey kaybee!!

sorry abt the delay in response!

i meant manually Search for files and delete them.

If you're sure the above doesn't help, you can use a removal tool to do so.

hope this helps. let me know how this goes.

hk

Visitor
kaybee62

Thanks again for the response.

That's the problem....the files are missing in the first place.  I even went so far as to copy files (unins000.msg & unins000.dat) from another computer of ours which has Utilities 14 installed.  The problem is that the computer with the issue has a 32 bit OS while the other computer has a 64 bit OS which means the files wouldn't work (or at least that was the gist of the error message I got with I tried to run the uninstall on the 32-bit OS computer).  I miss the days when a little bit of computer knowledge was useful in solving problems.  All it gets me now is frustrated.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

[ Edited ]

I'm not 100% sure this works on NU14, but have you tried the Norton Removal Tool? Beware that it will wipe ALL Norton products from the PC and you will then have to re-install what you want to keep.

Another thing you can try is REVO UNINSTALL UTILITY. I don't have much experience with this, but I've read good things about it. Just pay close attention to what you are doing.

Regular Contributor
High_Kicks

kaybee62!

as i mentioned, its best to use a removal tool. and as mentioned by redk9258, NRT wud be useful in cleaning completely,  leaving no trace. however, u shud be extra careful in using it.

hk

Visitor
kaybee62

I downloaded the NRT.  Norton Utilities (NU) 14 was not listed as one of the programs it removes.  I also have Norton Internet Security (NIS), however, and I do not want that removed (although I could reinstall it  - I have my product code).  I'm a little leery about clicking the 'Next' button and setting in motion something that may not solve the problem and at the same time cause me more grief.  It wouldn't bother me if NU was part of NIS.  I'd be willing to uninstall & reinstall the latter if it would fix the problem with the former.  Does that make sense?  Can you shed any light on my ramble?

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Did you try the Revo Uninstall Utility linked above? There is a portable version that can be run without installing it.

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

[ Edited ]

I'm sure you tried re-installing it over the top of the old version?

Dave