Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
bobzzz

Windows 8 & Ghost 8 Cold Images

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I though Ghost 8 wasn't supposed to work with Windows 8 so I decided to give it a try. I'm only concerned with a cold image created while in another bootable partition. I created a Ghost 8 Windows 8 image with Ghost32.exe while in another Windows 8 partition. After the image was created, I deleted the Windows 8 partition, re-created it, reformatted it then ran Ghost  8 again and reloaded the image I just made. Booted the newly loaded Windows 8 partition and it's working great.

Is there something that's not supposed to work using Ghost 8 for a cold image with Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Thanks

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

Re: Windows 8 & Ghost 8 Cold Images

I worked because you did not use Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 to create the partition. You created a cylinder aligned partition. Ghost 8 does not understand the sector aligned partitions that modern operating systems create. 

Don't use cylinder aligned partitions with SSDs.

Contributor
bobzzz

[ Edited ]

redk9258 wrote:

I worked because you did not use Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 to create the partition. You created a cylinder aligned partition. Ghost 8 does not understand the sector aligned partitions that modern operating systems create. 

Don't use cylinder aligned partitions with SSDs.

But I did create the partition with Windows 8. While in Windows 8 partition 1, I created a ghost 8 image of windows 8 partition 2. While still in Windows 8, deleted the partition 2 then created it again and formatted it. I then reloaded it using Ghost 8 and the image I just created still while in Windows 8 partition 1.

I have no plans to use a SSD any time soon.

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

If you try to recover the Ghost 8 image to a blank HDD, I don't think it will boot. You will need to create the partitions from the Windows 8 DVD

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

bobzzz,

Even Ghost 2003 works with Win8 if you use it appropriately. So Ghost 8 will work too.