Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Windows 8 and Ghost 15

You can use these together. The images are created and restored quickly using the "cold" technique. There is no need to install Ghost 15.

For those who aren't familiar with creating a "cold" Ghost 15 backup image, I'll describe how to backup the Win8 partition...

Boot using the Ghost 15 CD
Backup My Computer
Next
Enter your license key
Next
Select the Win8 partition
Next
Browse to your destination folder
Next
Compression Standard (recommended)
Put a tick in Verify recovery point afyer creation
Next
Finish

You can create images of other partitions (if you desire) after the current process has completed.

Cold imaging is a manual procedure but it only takes a few minutes of your time. Are there advantages over "hot" imaging? Yes, speed. In my test computer a cold image takes only half the time to be created compared with creating a hot image.

It's true you can't do Copy Drive from the Ghost 15 CD, but no problem, you can do image/restore instead. I prefer cloning drives with image/restore.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: Windows 8 and Ghost 15

[ Edited ]

In this post...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-on-Windows-8-Not-supported/m-p/834664#...

Bitbob reported creating hot images with Ghost 15 in Win8.

Today I created a (non activated) Ghost 15 hot image in Win8. The image was verified. The image was restored to an empty HD and Win8 booted normally.

Contributor
ptwilli1

I have also created a hot image, but who wants to keep re-installing Ghost 15 to keep it "activated" or reboot with the disc to create a cold image. This is not what I paid for and Symantec should have a Win 8 solution ready, either an upgrade to Ghost 15 or a new version. This is just lousy customer support!  

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

At least we know Ghost 15 is usable with Win8 even though it entails some extra effort on our part. It would be very concerning if Ghost 15 couldn't create or restore Win8 images. But that's not the case.

raylonr

Is it true you can coldimage/restore for windows XP, vista, 7 & 8?

If so then that is great!  I can now use ghost like I did with ghost7 for yeaars. Will there be network access? 

Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

raylonr wrote:

Is it true you can coldimage/restore for windows XP, vista, 7 & 8?

If so then that is great!  I can now use ghost like I did with ghost7 for yeaars. Will there be network access? 

Yes, starting with version 15 you can now once again create images as well as restore them using the recovery disk.

It really makes no diference what version of windows happens to be on the drive or partition.  The recovery disk also has network access, LAN only because WiFi is not supported in WindowsPE.

Dave

Visitor
FMinMI

What is the correct order to restoring images if there is more than 1? When I did a cold backup, I saw 2 paritions, with one being a very small one. So, I selected both and both backed up. But when I went to do a cold restore, there was no way to pick both (CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT did not allow me to highlight both). So do I do the main partition first and the small one second? And what do I select for each in the 'special' options (e.g. Set Drive Active, Restore original disk signature, Restore MBR , etc...).

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Frank,

Always restore in the same order the partitions are present on the source HD (Disk Management).

You can restore several images at once using the .sv2i but we strongly recommend you don't. The images can be restored in the wrong order. I always backup partitions individually too. Just a personal preference.

Restore options....

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Ghost-15-options-for-recovery/td-p/218202

Visitor
PDADoc

I've decided not to use Ghost until this gets sorted out in a more concrete manner, but I do still have some crucial files that I need to have from one of my previous backups.

Is there a way to run the recovery point browser without installing Ghost?  Is there a separate component that I can run to extract the needed files from my last backup?  This would be immensely helpful to me.

Super Bot Obliterator
redk9258

You can run Recovery Point Browser without installing Ghost. Just copy V2iBrowser.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Ghost\Browser or download it HERE.