Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
slickrcbd

extracting the security pin from Comcast's Norton Security Suite

I'm having problems, and when I log in to my admin account I get a dialog box labeled "one click support" telling me to use "norton removal tool" and then  reinstall Norton. This happened following a system restore.

I can't find the paper with the cd-key or whatever they call the stupid code needed to install the software that everone calls by a different name in my shoebox with all the codes. How can I extract it fron the current, semi-working install before I reinstall it?

K_Ramachandran
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 12

Re: extracting the security pin from Comcast's Norton Security Suite

Hi slickrcbd,

You can get your product key from your Norton Account.  Sign into www.mynortonaccount.com using your email address[make sure the one which you used for registering the norton product] and the password.

If you dont remember the password --> Use "forgot password" option in the "signin" dialog box.

i) Once you sign into your account --> Click on products tab --> Product key will be displayed when you click on the product name.

If you still feel any problem, contact Norton Technical Support [phone]  :

http://us.norton.com/support/contact/contact.jsp?pvid=cs

K Ramachandran
Norton One Support Advisor
K_Ramachandran
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 12

Hi slickrcbd,

Also, If you have the Norton Product from the Comcast Security Suite.  You can directly reinstall the product, it will automatically activate by itself...

Still if you have a problem, go to this link:

http://us.norton.com/support/comcast.jsp?pvid=nsce_1&layout=Comcast

K Ramachandran
Norton One Support Advisor
yank
Kudos: 2,147
Solutions: 501

slickrcbd wrote:

I'm having problems, and when I log in to my admin account I get a dialog box labeled "one click support" telling me to use "norton removal tool" and then  reinstall Norton. This happened following a system restore.

I can't find the paper with the cd-key or whatever they call the stupid code needed to install the software that everone calls by a different name in my shoebox with all the codes. How can I extract it fron the current, semi-working install before I reinstall it?

First of all, there is no "key" for Comcast's Norton Security Suite.  However there is a pin and it can be found @ 

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

That said -you should never need the PIN to reinstall your Comcast Norton Secutiy Suite.

I would suggest in order to correct your problem you follow the instructions provided in the following link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

BTW - In order to run System Restore, you must disable Tamper Proterction in Norton.  Even if you do disable it, there is no guarantee System Restore will run properly, nor that Norton will run correctly after a System Restore. 

I have seen quite a few reinstalls required after running System Restore.

Please post back if more assistance is needed.

Contributor
slickrcbd

[ Edited ]

I went to just get a new pin from Comcast and discovered that there is a new version available called Constant Guard.

Does it have fewer problems than Norton 2010?

I'm working on studying for a security+ certification, and while I can see the advantage of some of the stuff, all I really need is an antimalware program and a personal firewall that controls both inbound and outbound traffic (EDIT: I'm attending grad school and they call it ingress and egress traffic now, but I learned with the other terms).

Those other things, especailly the toolbar just waste hard drive space and system resoruces. Maybe the IPS system.

One of my biggest beefs with Norton is that it automatically does things like deleting files without asking me. Another beef is when it blocks an action I initiate and I can't find a way to tell it that it's ok wihtout digging through layers to turn off norton utnil I'm done.

So, more configuration, and asking me to delete a file before actually deleting it would be nice.

Will this new version fix those things? Also making the ACLs on the firewall easier to figure out would be nice. It's easier to do ACLs from the command line in Cisco IOS than configure it to block a specific program from accessing port 80.

Contributor
slickrcbd

This might help, but it might be for comcast customers only.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/?cid=NET_33_616

yank
Kudos: 2,147
Solutions: 501

The link you show is to the "Constant Guard Protection Suite" which has numerous programs included with it.  If you look over the comcast security board you will see problem after problem with CGPS.  Norton Security Suite has been included as part of the CGPS.  In order to avoid the problems with CGPS, it is possible to download and install NSS by itself (without the rest of the CGPS  programs.  NSS is similar to Norton 360.  The following link was included in the instructions I provided above and is the download for the stand alone Norton from Comcast (although you will notice it is branded  Constant Guard from Xfinity).

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

Norton Security Suite (N 360) is not very programmable - it is more or less for the "use it and forget it" type user.  I siggest you look over the Norton 360 Board and see what others are saying about it's uses and programability, as the same things can be done with the Comcast version.

Contributor
slickrcbd

Part of my problem is the choice is what Comcast offers or a free program. I'm thinking of going back to ZoneAlarm and either AVG or Avast for those reasons.

Sorry  took so long, I've been really busy and haven't had time to deal with semi-minor computer problems.