Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Contributor
TheElder777
Accepted Solution

help cloning HDD to SSD with NORTON GHOST 15

Hello all. Just got a new computer and purchased a 256GB SSD that came with Norton Ghost 15. So after reading the manual and checking the cases. I realized none of the cases apply to mine (at least I think). Please tell me what options I should check in the "Advanced options menu" for each partition and in which order I should clone. I know that I have to do the system partition first (which one is my system partition anyway?). I have tried countless times and googled many times too. In the manual it says clone your system partition first then your C partition. I don't have a partition called "system," but I have a partition called "recovery" that says "system" underneath it (as can be seen in the screenshot). The only partition that I managed to clone was the OEM partition and the funny thing is that in the manual it says that Norton Ghost CAN NOT clone OEM partitions. Anyway please help me out. Thank you

I have screenshotted my "disk management" screen and attached it.screenshot.png

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Re: help cloning HDD to SSD with NORTON GHOST 15

TheElder777,

Your screenshot hasn't been approved for general viewing yet. Hopefully soon and I'll comment.

Is your computer a Dell?

Contributor
TheElder777

Thank you. Yes, it is a Dell XPS 8300.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Nice computer. Dells don't have a 100 MB SRP as there aren't enough partition slots. So Dell puts the booting files in the Recovery partition and it becomes the System partition.

Microsoft have an controversial method of partition description. The booting files aren't in the Boot partition.

Still waiting on your screenshot.

Contributor
TheElder777

Thank you. Interesting, I tried cloning the recovery partition first, so many times but with no success. I also forgot to mention that when I get to the "select a source" menu (after clicking show hidden partitions), there is also a "dellutility" partition that does not show up in "disk management."

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

What size is your HD and what sizes are the partitions seen in Disk Management?

Contributor
TheElder777

Here is the size info and a bit more. My HDD is set as raid0. I don't know what my SSD is set to though. I went to the bios to try and change my ssd to ahci but I don't think I can do that without also changing my HDD to ahci aswell. I don't know if any of this matters though.

Total HDD space: 1TB 

OEM partition: 39MB

RECOVERY partition: 13.25GB [System, Active, Primary Partition]

OS (C:) partition: 918.23GB [Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition]

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

The 39 MB partition is the Dell Utility partition. It is for diagnostics and although nice to have, it isn't essential.

Your Win7 partition will have to be resized smaller I'm afraid. Even though you might only have 50 GB of data it might be spread over the first 500 GB of the partition.

Ghost does sector based copies so if  your original partition was....( * is sectors in use, - is free space)

[---**----**--]

then the target partition to copy into can not be smaller than...

[---**----**]

More later.

I don't use RAID and I'd be grateful for comments from others.

Contributor
TheElder777

Well, I guess I would like to clone the 39MB partition then. Are you able to see my screen shot? How did you know that my Win7 partition needs resizing? The drive is almost new, I didn't install anything other than Mathematica, Skype and Norton Ghost (and maybe a couple more, haha). Would a defragment help? I like your graphical explanation of sectors and free space, very easy to understand. In the mean time I will go about removing as much as I can. Thank you Brian.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

No need to hurry. There is a lot to understand yet. Still can't see your screenshot.

I'd be surprised if your sectors didn't spread beyond the 256 GB mark, the size of your SSD and that's why I think you will need to resize. Diskpart in Win7 can do this but it may not resize enough as it can't resize beyond the last non moveable file. Other software can. I think defragging is a waste of time (for your purpose) as it doesn't move the non moveable files.

You can certainly try a Ghost Copy prior to resizing. It just may work and if it doesn't then a resize can be performed.