Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
Super Phishing Phryer
DaveH

Re: help cloning HDD to SSD with NORTON GHOST 15

i made the same assumption when the model of the Dell was mentioned.  But those errors are so odd there must be something unusual going on or we would have seen them before.

Contributor
TheElder777

Hi. My SSD package did not come with a USB adapter. It is connected to the motherboard. And no, I do not have an external hard drive. I do have a 32GB USB (haha)  and that is it. Thank you. If I don't answer back it is because I have slept. 

Contributor
TheElder777

Brian_K wrote:

"One Time Backup" is under Tasks in Ghost 15. Don't worry about any options except for Verify.

Edit... I never know what these errors mean.

Do you have an external HD?

I don't know what the errors mean either... That is why I am here.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

OK. When ready, make the image and I'll post how to do the restore.

Have you tested the Ghost CD? Can you see your HDs from the Ghost recovery environment?

Contributor
TheElder777

When I got my computer, the original 2 HDDs were connected to sata port 0 and 1. So what I did was removed whichever HDD was connected to sata port 0 and plugged it into another sata port and plugged my new SSD to port 0. I did this because the first two ports are SATA3 compatible. Do you think this change may be causing the error. In other words should I reconnect the HDD's to the original ports and the SSD to a SATA2 port and then try cloning?

Contributor
TheElder777

Brian_K wrote:

OK. When ready, make the image and I'll post how to do the restore.

Have you tested the Ghost CD? Can you see your HDs from the Ghost recovery environment?

I will make the image tomorrow (sorry but I must sleep). I have no idea what a/the Ghost CD is. My ssd came with Samsung Magician software (which has a clone option that directs me to Norton ghost) and a Norton Ghost CD. By Ghost CD do you mean Norton Ghost CD? I am sorry, this will be my last message for tonight. Have a good night/day and once again thank you so much for your help. Be back here tomorrow.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

Delete the recovery partition from the SSD if a partition is present.

Boot from the Ghost CD and click Recover My Computer.

View recovery points by Filename

Browse to your image

On the Drives to Recover screen click Edit and select the unallocated space on the SSD. You may have to delete a phantom drive

see http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/New-Hard-drice/m-p/253329#M24922

Select....

Primary partition

Check for file system errors ......

Set drive active (for booting OS)

Restore original disk signature

Restore master boot record

When completed boot into Win7 and try the Win7 copy.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

TheElder777 wrote:

By Ghost CD do you mean Norton Ghost CD?

Yes. It is a bootable CD.

Rootkit Eradicator
Brian_K

[ Edited ]

I missed seeing your Message #45. I don't know but for the cloning exercise I'd put the SATA cables back to ports 0 and 1. Maybe it will help.

When you complete the clone and disconnect the HDs you could plug the SSD into port 0.

Contributor
TheElder777

[ Edited ]

Hello again. I'm on campus now and can't give this thing a go until later. I didn't know Norton Ghost was bootable. I guess for today I will move the HDD's back to their respective ports (I hope I remember which port) and then boot Norton and try cloning again.