Not what you were looking for? Ask our experts!
lauriej

need pin for bootable norton recovery tool

my son in law has norton security suite from comcast but it said it was not active then his laptop wouldnt boot we got the receovery cd to boot but it is asking for a pin.  we cant access pin because we cant get laptop to boot.  it would boot in safemode and recovery also doesnt work.

how can we get the cd to work?  we checked my daughters pc but she does not have the pin file in her documents folder. 

yank
Kudos: 2,248
Solutions: 512

Re: need pin for bootable norton recovery tool

lauriej wrote:

my son in law has norton security suite from comcast but it said it was not active then his laptop wouldnt boot we got the receovery cd to boot but it is asking for a pin.  we cant access pin because we cant get laptop to boot.  it would boot in safemode and recovery also doesnt work.

how can we get the cd to work?  we checked my daughters pc but she does not have the pin file in her documents folder. 

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista: C:\Users\\Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

If Norton Security Suite is installed, the PIN shoulld be in that location as it is placed there as part of the intial install of NSS.

cally473

The number that is found  in the "Norton Security_PIN.tx" file is too short! Where can we find the complete pin number required by the bootable recovery CD??

yank
Kudos: 2,248
Solutions: 512

Hi cally473,

Did you downlod the correct version of the Norton Bootable Recovery Tool?

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/nbrt.aspx

You need to download the one on the left in the link I provided.

The Pin Number is 13 digits long, the Product key (used for the commerciakl versions (the other download) is something like 25 digits.  Thuis that would explain why the Pin entered on that download would show as being short.

Also, be sure you have the correct PIN:

In case you use Norton Security Suite, you can find your activation PIN in the following way:

1. Go to the following URL:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/​CGPS/norton/

2. Click Get It Now
  3. If you can not see the Get It Now button, click on the No Thanks popup offering the Constant Guard Protective Suite.
  4. Log on to your Comcast account, and then find your activation PIN under the product name.

You can use this activation PIN when you use Norton Bootable Recovery Tool.